Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lessons from the Turtle

This week as I've taught the kids about the turtle I've felt like I was teaching/talking to myself... "The turtle can't run fast at all! But he keeps going and going. Even when it gets hard, and he is so tired, he doesn't quit. He perseveres."

Prov 28:20 - "A faithful man will abound with blessings..."

Heb 12:1 - "Let us run with patience the race that is set before us..."

I love life and am soooo thankful for all God gives! I think I've been more aware than ever, though, of just how broken our world is and how we all face struggles. And I know I always have a choice... I can be strong in the face of trials or I can be consumed or swept over. I love the verse in Isaiah (43:2 NLT) when God says, "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you... Do not be afraid, for I am with you."

As many of you know our Jude bug has had a handful little issues since turning two. We've seen great results from our gfcf diet, great results from working on gut healing, and next we're going to be going to speech therapy and sensory therapy with Jude. He was recently (just before Christmas) diagnosed with Aspergers, but there will be more detailed testing happening this month to confirm or adjust/tweak that diagnosis if needed. Josh and I weren't surprised by the diagnosis, but it has still taken a few weeks to sink in and for me to process. There's some relief in being able to give a name and answer to all of these quirky things going on, but it's also hard to hear an actual diagnosis of something, you know? I'm so thankful for the resources available to us and I look forward to helping Jude as we work on these next things! And there's always comfort in God's sovereignty!

Now that I've had a little time for it to sink in and I've had a mini-inner-pitty-party, ;) I think it's important that Josh and I choose the attitude we're going to have in all this, which is to be positive and work hard, and with a cheerful spirit. And we'll continue to take things one step at a time, just like the turtle. Let's persevere! I'll share more in the weeks to come as we learn more! :)

xo,
Bethany

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil 4:13

p.s. What we're facing with Jude is small compared to what many people may be going through. So this song comes to mind for anyone out there who may be facing a mountain...

One Step At A Time (Psalty the Songbook lyrics)

When something seems
Too hard to handle
Too big to conquer
Too far away to touch

When all your dreams
Begin to shatter
And deep inside you
You're hurtin', oh, so much
That's when it's time to say

Refrain:
I'm climbing my mountain, step by step
I'm climbing my mountain, day by day
I'm climbing my mountain, all the way
I'm climbing my mountain
I'm gonna make it

Chorus:
One step at a time
One step at a time
One step at a time
With Jesus by my side
One step at a time
One step at a time
I'm climbing my mountain
One step at at time

Even though you might grow weary
Don't be discouraged
In our weakness God is strong

Remember this, He'll never leave you
He won't forsake you
He's your strength and He's your song
So sing and start to say...
(Refrain then Chorus)

And of course Rita Springer (she's my favorite!)

3 comments:

Amber said...

Your positive thinking is inspiring Bethany. I have a niece who was diagnosed with Aspergers as a child as well, and is now 16 and doing so great. I'm sure Jude will do so well with your and Josh's guidance too!

Chris Fegles said...

Just read this post today (1-17-12)and it made me cry. . . you touched my heart, besides what you guys have been going through. . . you know why. Love you Bethany!

Evangeline. said...

Ok so what is so funny is that I have been reminiscing about Psalty ALL day today! I am a 21 year old adult and it's amazing how those songs have stayed with me! This post brought back happy memories :) I will be praying for your family and that the Lord gives you joy as He walks with your family through this! Blessings!