Saturday, January 21, 2012

Just life..

I feel funny posting cell phone photos all the time on our family blog, but I have to be honest, sometimes it's really nice to just not care that you're taking a blurry, crazy picture! :)
This first photo I think is really funny. This is what our kids did for fun tonight... stack cans from our garage. They wanted to reach 100, but we didn't let them stack any further for fear that if the cans fell they'd dent the wood floors. But they had fun getting a little over half way there.

School's been fun this week. The kids are doing basic reading, and can read simple 3 letter words. I'm really excited that we're finally to this point, because not only do I love to hear them read, but I know they are going to have so much fun reading books completely on their own.

This week we have focused on the 5 vowels and also our 5 senses. We played a fun game where the kids closed their eyes and sampled foods and had to guess based on taste. It was pretty funny because I made them sample a lot of the things Selah tells me she doesn't like, like apples slices, and then I'd ask, "was that yummy?" and Selah would say, "Yes it was!" :) Then they faced the wall and listened to sounds I made around the house and had to guess the sound. We did the same with touch (eyes closed and guessing), and also with smell. I made them smell a bunch of funny things from the fridge. They loved these activities! Fun games. :)

Before all of this, though, I asked the kids a few questions just for fun.

Q: What are your favorite things to taste?
A: Selah - "Whirly pop popcorn, cotton candy, and candy canes."
Jude - "Suckers, cotton candy, and food at the fair."

Q: What are your favorite things to smell?
A: Selah - "Stinky socks."
Jude - "Soup at the fair."

Q: What are your favorite things to see?
A: Selah - "Baby bird eggs, they're so cute!"
Jude - "Binoculars to see birds."

Q: What are your favorite things to hear?
A: Selah - "Kitties meowing."
Jude - "Instruments, and babies crying."

Q: What are your favorite things to touch?
A: Selah - "Pencils, horses, and cats."
Jude - "Crunchy toast, apples, spoons with hot soup."

As we've been talking about senses, I was also thinking about the things I tend to "sense" as I'm here teaching the kids during school time. Today I wrote down some things in that very moment that I was hearing or seeing or tasting:
. dishwasher running
. everyone in cozy clothes
. toast and tea
. worship music in background
. ben's "eagle has landed" squeal
. the crunching of pretzels

On Sunday evening our friend Anne Marie came over and taught us how to make Kombucha tea. Yum! She is SO thoughtful and brought everything for us to make it, including the glass container. And she had the kids in mind, because she came an hour before their bedtime and not only did she make the tea activity something for the kids to do, but she also brought a favorite story book to read to them before bed. We just love Anne Marie.



I took the kids to the Pump it Up jump house today and we played there for a couple hours with some friends. It was a great time and wonderful to get some exercise! Benjamin had fun climbing, wandering around and playing with the balls.

One last note that I'm documenting for my own personal memory, Jude has had an amazing week. He has started asking questions about life, like I've never experienced with him. You know how most kids go through that "why?" stage, and they ask you questions all the time? Jude has never done that. Never really asked questions about things - for so long he's just been in his own world. And this week it's be extraordinary! Curiosity about how everything works. Also, while at the jump house today he sought out two different boys and played with them, instead of playing alone like I've been use to!! I found myself just watching him. I'm kind of blown away and can't believe what I'm seeing. Answered prayers. All I know to say is, Thank you Lord. xo

No comments: