Sunday, December 8, 2013

Take a walk...

We went for a walk in the snow today, just around the house. It was so peaceful and beautiful, and the sunshine felt so good! I almost didn't want to go back inside. :)
And Jude took this one for us. Thank you Jude! :)
So much rich history in this home... oh, if these walls could speak! This house was built by Caleb Davis in 1878, then he sold the house and a few hundred acres to his neighbor, who then sold the house and 106 acres to the Allworths in the 1930's. The Allworths had electricity and plumbing installed, planted the orchard and the small forest (where the owls live that we hear at night), planted a huge garden, had jersey cows, and lived off of this land while Mr. Allworth had an esteemed position at OSU (back when it was the OAC). The Allworths were an amazing family. When their children were grown and Mrs. Allworth was elderly, and Mr. Allworth had passed away, she sold the house and 106 acres to my beloved Grandparents. That was in the 1970's and my Grandparents wholeheartedly cared for this home. Soon after they bought this house they sold the Inkwell store (that they started here in Corvallis) and retired to enjoy this beautiful place. My Gandparents put on the sunroom addition, the original garage was converted to a cottage, and my Granddad had these grounds in master garden condition! It was his passion and I'm even more amazed by it now after living here for 6 months and realizing how much work it was for him to maintain! They were the most incredible people. I spent many days here in my late teens and early 20's talking to Grandma and gleaning wisdom from her. <3

This coming year I'd love to share more of the sweet history of this place from time to time (like about that little stone building on the right in the photo above), and share photos too. Even though I grew up playing in these rooms with my siblings and cousins at holidays, I didn't realize how rich with memories these rooms were. It's been so much fun to read about all that has happened here in the last 135 years! Such legacies left by the stewards of this home.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I can't wait to hear more about the history of your house, Bethany. What an amazing gift to raise kids in the house your grandparents once lived -- what a beautiful place.

Amber said...

The pictures in this post are stunning Bethany!!! I LOVE them! And what a great story about your house. PLUS, your grandparents started Inkwell!? That is my favorite store in Corvallis!!

TRiv said...

wow!! so 106 acres are your now??? what a dream come true!! such a beautiful peace of heaven...i love love LOVE your pics of your home and land.