Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Eve of Thanksgiving

I love to be warm. Our fireplace is on, making our home cozy, but I additionally have a space heater blowing warm air on me in our bedroom, and Josh just put boiling water into a mason jar so that I can tuck it into the sheets of our bed to warm my feet while I sit here and type. Yep, I love to be warm! :) I'm thankful for warmth!

I was just sitting here thinking about Thanksgiving, and how gratitude is a real game changer. It's something we try and talk to our kids about often.

We'll tell them that when you see the world from the perspective of abundance and all you've been given, it creates a heart of humility and joy, but also makes you grateful for even the smallest things. We aren't owed anything. All we've been given is a gift. And a thankful heart is a gift in and of itself!

Our family follows the teachings of Jesus. Jesus has changed my life! More than anything else ever could. But I was amazed tonight even thinking about the fact that Jesus gave thanks before he broke the bread & shared the cup, representing his body and blood that would be broken on the cross. He gave thanks before becoming the sacrifice for the world! Wow.

The Bible even says to let our thanksgiving be a sacrifice to God. That is something that I can give Him!

I can think of very specific times in my life that God met me in my pain and let me see that He was there with me. He was in the midst of it, caring for me. He was so close, wrapping me in peace. Covering me in His love. He even comforted me with a specific verse to hold onto in those times:

When my parents divorced, He was my stability, never changing. He loved me and was with me.
Isaiah 43:1-3,
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
 For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

When our first daughter, Melaina, was born pre-maturely and didn't live, He was my comforter and my Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 26:3,
You will keep in perfect peace
all who trust in you,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you! 
Trust in the Lord always,
for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.

When Jude had lengthy health problems, God was my strength and my confidence! I could look to Him, and follow Him, the Great Shepherd, as I shepherded my own children.
Psalm 23, 
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

So here in my warm bedroom, on the Eve of Thanksgiving, I want to thank God, for all of His good gifts! For being with me every day of my life, for being my stability, my comforter, my peace, my strength & my confidence. But most of all, for being the God who lacks nothing! In Him is all goodness and truth. He is full of compassion and unconditional, everlasting love. In Him there is no darkness at all. His kindness draws me close. I can rest. I can enter His presence with boldness because I'm His child, because of Jesus' great sacrifice. My life has abundance because He is abundant. Because of Him I can give thanks in times of joy and in times of pain. He doesn't change; He's faithful. And I'm so, so thankful for that.

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
Psalm 106:1

Lord, thank you for loving me. Little me. Thank you for making me Yours. I love you!

No comments: