Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Meet Westley!

The big news around our house is that we got a puppy! In the seventeen years that Josh and I have been married I think he has suggested that we get a dog about 12 million times. ;) And I've always answered with something along the line of, "please never ask me to own a dog." Ha! I just didn't want to be leashed to a pet that put it's nose on the sliding glass doors, and that I'd be cleaning up after. (Don't worry, I've had a heart change!) But the older that the kids have gotten the more I realized that Josh would never have his family dream of owning a dog if we didn't do it soon. Some friends at church had just adopted the cutest Australian Shepherd puppy and told us about two puppies that were left in the litter. I showed their photos to Josh and we decided to visit them. When the breeder opened the door, this sweet boy puppy came shooting out of the garage to greet us and never left our side. He had the best personality! Can you see the instant love in our eyes? :)
We actually drove away to "sleep on it" and chat about puppies. Josh had found a breeder that we were suppose to meet a few days later to put a deposit on a litter for the following year. But after driving away from the puppy that never left our side we started to talk about him. He had passed all of the puppy tests, and we loved his personality, and realized that when choosing a tiny puppy based on appearance you have less control of what personality you're going to get. Whereas this sweet puppy had won our hearts in such a short time!

So we called the gal and drove back to her place and adopted Westley! We've been reading The Princess Bride aloud and we all agreed that this puppy's personality is very much fitting of the phrase, "As you wish!" So Westley it was!
And this right here is what makes me happiest. Look at the smile on my man's face! That's worth it all.
Westley was 13 weeks old when we adopted him, which worked out well for us because he was 95% potty trained, and so well behaved due to the breeder's great care for him. I think it's been God's grace that he's been such a mellow puppy because it's helped me to adapt to having a dog in our house. He seriously feels like another member of our family and I find myself telling him I love him all the time. Josh eats that stuff up. ;) Here's a bunch of Westley pics from the past couple weeks that we've had him:
He sure loves the kids! He loves to sit next to them when we ride in the car. He also loves to lay under their feet at the piano, or help them feed the chickens, and he loves to visit our bunny rabbit every morning! He also likes to run laps around our circular driveway with the kids.
Westley's first bath...
Out for a walk... this right here makes me smile. I'm so thankful God gave us Westley!
Before his toys were shredded... ;)
We took him to Ben's football game and discovered he knows how to bark! Ha! He only barks when other dogs get near us. He's quite protective of us. He's a friend to every person he meets, though. But we definitely need to get him socialized to other dogs.
Morning walks...
Buddies...
Dad and Janet watched Westley and the kids one night while Josh and I went to a dinner at the beach. The kids had the best time. Clearly Wes did too. I love that he lays at Josh's feet. :)
Alright, there you go. I've turned into a person who posts lots of pics of their dog. Josh would tell you that this right here is proof that God answers prayers. ;)

No comments: