Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Selah's 7th Birthday Party: Little House on the Prairie

Selah's 7th birthday was so special this year. She had a lot of fun with her friends, pretending to be Laura & Mary for the afternoon, imagining they lived "back then" (see below). ;)

She chose a Little House on the Prairie theme and our imaginations (with the help of Pinterest) ran wild with fun ideas. :) The girls embroidered their initials on handkerchiefs, shopped at the mercantile & rode Ruby the pony. Everything about Little House on the Prairie is so wonderful, dreamy and special, and the setting here was so fitting.

Selah and I started creating ideas of what we wanted to do well in advance and Grandma Janet donated a pile of unused fabric to the cause, which we put to great use! Selah and I sewed prairie aprons, handkerchiefs, coin pouches that held 15 pennies each for the mercantile store, and bags for the girls to be able to carry their handkerchiefs and mercantile store goods in (all from Janet's fabric. Thank you Grandma Janet!). Selah and I had so much fun designing and sewing each item! Every bit of it was just plain fun.

We felt so blessed to spend this day with our friends and family, & to celebrate this joyful girl of ours!

Selah, you bring so much joy to our family. You're our creative, full of life, friendly animal whisperer, who loves to sing and keep up with her brothers. We love you SO much and we are so thankful God gave us you! xoxo Happy 7th Birthday!
The girls did a great job of embroidering their initials on their handkerchiefs!
In our mercantile store we set out candies, hair ribbons, slates and chalk sticks for the girls to buy for 1 cent each (with their 15 pennies). We also set out squash (from our fall garden), hazelnuts (from the orchard), eggs (from our hens), & pieces of fabric for sale. We treated those extra items as filler/decor that we figured no one would buy, and I LOVED that the girls bought those items with their pennies also!! It was just too cute to see them buying fresh eggs, hazelnuts, squash & fabric! Janet ran the store and said that the girls commented on how great the hazelnuts would be for decorating. ;) I love these girls and I love this age! Too cute.
The weather forecast was showing beautiful sunshine so we were thrilled that my mom was able to bring Ruby over, the adorable pony she bought for the grandkids two years ago, to give pony rides! The girls did such a great job riding Ruby, and Grandma Jill and Papa Wayne were so great at leading them!! The girls each took an initial short ride and then were allowed to go for longer rides after that. One of the cutest things was when the remaining girls lined up to help hold rope and walk each rider up and down the driveway, assisting my mom and Wayne with Ruby. :)
After pony rides the girls ran off to play "back then", which was them pretending to live in the times of Mary & Laura; they were a group of sisters living back then. :) Oh my, it was just the cutest thing to me! We moms enjoyed talking while the girls played.
I'm so thankful for these moms!! I get to see them each week and I'm so encouraged by their sweet souls.
I loved seeing the impromptu embroidering going on with the fabric they purchased in the mercantile! :)
I love this girl!
Selah's birthday crew! Thank you Grandma Jill, Grandma Janet, Grandma Chris & Aunt Bonnie for all of your help. We love you! xo (A huge Thank You to Granddad Kevin, & Papa Wayne for all of your help too!)
Time has flown by! I feel like I just snapped this photo of Selah as a baby by the big living room window a blink ago. I remember that day so vividly and how often I photographed her calm little self on that couch in the window light. Same sweet girl now as she was then. xoxo

No comments: