Monday, May 20, 2013

Less than a month left!

I can't believe the school year is almost over! It has gone by so quickly! I just love this school and wish it went beyond Kindergarten! It's the best and the teachers are beyond amazing! We've been soooo blessed by them.

Here are a just a few recent classroom snapshots of Jude & Selah. They are in a Montessori school, which means that they are in the same class, because the whole school is one class. The day is very structured, but the kids are free to move about the classroom and choose the things they want to work on and learn about. They take "a work" from a shelf and sit at a table and work on it. Then they return it when they are finished and chose their next activity ("work"). Each child also spends individual one-on-one time every day with the teacher, working on reading and math, etc. She sends home the books they are reading and the math they are working on. It's so great. Jude's teacher talks to me each day about how he did and what he worked on. He has grown SO much this year and his teachers have been so dedicated to him. It almost makes me cry talking about it, because they give so much of themselves to these kids, and they care so sincerely for our kids.

Here Jude is choosing to work on writing down times, as he moves the hands on this clock.
And miss Selah is such a great student. I love watching her work around the classroom. She loves math and crafts! Here she is doing some work at a table with her friends.
The kids also get to choose a daily chore when arriving at school. Things like watering the plants, refilling everyone's water bottle, or feeding the fish, etc.
Over the last couple weeks the kids have been watching caterpillars turn into butterflies in their classroom. The exciting day came for them to release them on Friday. 

2 comments:

TRiv said...

How neat!! Vivian's class also did the butterfly thing. I love the look on Jude's face when he's holding the orange slice with the butterfly on it ;-) such a great memory for them.

Jessica Jordan said...

I went to Montessori, and I LOVED it. I was doing times tables at age 5. They really know their stuff and how to let kids learn in their own way.

OK I love the butterfly pics B. Were you using a macro?

I know I'm going to miss the structure of school, but I'm also SOOOO enjoying the lazy mornings of summer already :) Then again, I also miss the LAZY LAZY mornings of Mexico. Off to work an extra shift to start the next vacation fund (seriously, I am). :) ~ J