Monday, August 20, 2012

The Clackamas County Fair

In keeping with our family tradition, we hit up the the Canby Fair this afternoon and had a blast! It never disappoints. This was our 3rd year going, and we had a great time, once again! I photographed a wedding yesterday and was pretty tired today, but knew we couldn't miss out on the Fair.

Can you believe we got this above photo of ourselves, using the camera timer while setting the camera on the top of the stroller, and it was the first and only shot we took?! Seriously amazing that the kids were all looking at the camera AND smiling! It's a new favorite photo!
We somehow lucked out on a parking spot literally at the gate, and loaded up the stroller with all of our snacks, water and kids. :) Jude heard "race cars" right inside the gate and was insistent that we go in and see "the car show!" that was in progress. So, being the spontaneous people we are, we checked out the prices, bought tickets, and got seated. Once the cars came out and started their engines Jude said it was too noisy, but plugged his ears with his fingers and was good to go! (In the past he would not have been able to handle the noise, but he did just great!)

We had NO clue what we had signed up for when we bought tickets to this demolition derby and took our seats in the stands. We just knew we had a super excited 6 yr. old and thought we'd maybe see some cars drive around fast for an hour. As soon as we sat down, the big round dirt pen filled with about 12-15 cars. They started their engines and as soon as the man wove the big flag, the cars put the pedal to the metal and started crashing into one another! I was really shocked! It was like bumper cars for big boys! I had no idea this little world of car smashing even existed! After the first minute of watching I leaned over to Josh and said, "The mother in me almost can't take this. Why do boys like to do these sorts of things?!" It gave me a crazy adrenalin rush that made me feel like I wanted to cry. But once I realized that all of the drivers were safe and no one was going to get hurt in any way, I was able to relax a little, and kind of enjoy it. :)

When the cars had first come out Jude expressed that he didn't want the cars to crash into each other, but once he convinced himself that they were just like monster trucks he was ok with it. :) (I have no idea where he's ever seen monster trucks.) Jude's favorite car was 116, which he called "eleven six". So all of us cheered for 116! A shot of 116 (brown car in the middle ) either smashing, being smashed, or both?
116 didn't win, but he did a great job and lasted pretty long. The point of all of this smashing is to be the last car running. Most of the cars would race backwards to smash into other cars. We saw cars still speeding around with entire tires missing! Notice the steel beams on the sides of the cars. The drivers had reinforcements all over to make sure they were really safe.
Our surprised viewers. :) Later that day, when the fair was done, Selah said, "Mom, thank you so much for the fair, that was so fun! And when the cars crashed I didn't get scared even a little bit." (But the way she said it, and the sound of her voice, made me think maybe she was a little nervous.) ;)
Our group in front of car 116...
Benjamin was a 20 month old handful! He was EVERYWHERE. And he wanted to do everything himself. He had to climb into the stroller HIMSELF, open his granola bar HIMSELF, he wanted to take any snacks out of the bag himself. But he was also our sweet little entertainer. He loved dancing to the music, saying hi to people, talking to the animals, helping to push the big kids in the stroller, smiling at everyone... I love his precious personality!
 Dancing and pushing...
Poor guy was pretty upset, though, when the big kids got to ride on the rides and he didn't. :( I wish he could've but he's not old enough yet. He REALLY wanted to ride these cars. I had to take him elsewhere to distract him.
Selah had a great time on it.
Jude was investigating how the car worked the first time he rode it.
The second time he used his imagination and "oil slicked" the car behind him" just like in Cars2.
Next the kids rode a mini-coaster firetruck.
Jude steered with purpose, and hit the corners spot on - we're pretty sure he thought he was somehow controlling it. ;) Or at least the two of them were imagining something fun!


After the rides we sat for some snacks and to re-hydrate.
Next Selah requested to see the horses, so we went looking. Unfortunately there weren't any in the stalls, and probably because it was the last day of the fair and the rodeo was over. But we found ponies later on and Selah said, "Oh Mom, that baby pony is so cute I can't take my eyes off of her." How cute is that?!
Here's when she found the ponies:
Animal lover...
Next we went through the Pioneer Village. It's so fun to walk through and see everything. I was amazed by the little general store and the items for sale in there. And we always love seeing inside the tee-pees. 
Inside the tee-pee...
Inside a little cabin...
The kids stopped to make some jewelry. Selah made a bracelet and Jude made Benjamin a necklace.
Selah and Benjamin showing off their jewlery...
The last thing we did was see the produce people grew. It's always one of my favorite exhibits. It reminds me of my family, Corvallis, and I'm reminded of the beauty of God's creation. I just like being there and seeing it all.
Look at these tiny watermelons that Selah spotted! Aren't they cute?
Pj'ed up for the drive home... already looking forward to another fun time there next year. Josh and I drove home feeling so blessed by the family God's given us.

3 comments:

Amber said...

So, so cute Bethany!! I too just love the fair. What a FUN experience for kids. I love the demolition derby (who knew!), the mini watermelons and the llamas :)

Chris Fegles said...

If I can't be there to share it with each of you, this is the best next thing!!! I love you all so much

Chelsi Ritter said...

eric and i were just talking about the fair yesterday. i'm going to show him your great photos to see if i can convince him to go before the week is up! yours looks so much fun; glad you guys had such a great time bethany!