Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sunshine is my "Go-Go" juice!

Ah, I was SO THANKFUL for the sunshine today! I get so much more accomplished on sunny days! Don't you? Oh, Oregon, please don't let the rains carry on until 4th of July this year. Puuuuhhhhlllleeeezzzeeee!!

Josh went on a short business trip this week. I love the short ones because they feel so manageable. He also got to spend some time with his family at OHSU on Monday, when his dad had a major surgery. Thankfully it went well and his dad is now in recovery. Please continue to pray for Mike's health. We'd really appreciate it!

Benjamin had his follow up appt. with the orthopedic doctor on Monday. Everything looked good. Benjamin will have his cast for 3 more weeks and then he should be good to go. Benjamin has figured out how to move around with it on. He's back to crawling, and will stand a bit, but he hasn't attempted to walk with it yet. Tonight he discovered a new favorite toy... :)

The kids and I tried to get out a lot more over the last week. Jude wanted to take his pedal-less bike for a ride, so I pushed the other two in the stroller and we took off. If you know Jude, his favorite bike activity is to go downhill as fast as possible. So of course that's what he wanted to do, but he didn't have any breaks, so I told him that wouldn't be a good idea because he'd have no way to stop himself. He told me he could use his feet, but I explained how if he were going too fast that just wouldn't work and he'd crash. At the end of our ride he REALLY wanted to go fast downhill, which wasn't an option, so we agreed that he could test his "foot-breaks" theory on a small slope, and he did well until he came to a spot where he really needed to stop and he got a little wobbly when his feet just wouldn't cut it and he had a little crash. He got right back up and we looked him over to make sure all was well. He only got a tiny scrape, it didn't even break skin, and even though he was bummed that his "foot-breaks" didn't work, I know that was a good learning opportunity for him.


The kids are enjoying being able to read 3 letter words, and an activity this week in school was to cut out these words and read/match them to the picture.
We also went to the jump house again this past week. I was so proud of Selah, she finally got up the courage to go down the big slide and she LOVED it!! She went down it SO many times. Go girl!

Benjamin had fun moving around the jump house too. My sweet boy has been using his binkie a lot more since injuring his leg. We've been giving him lots of extra cuddles!

Today Jude had a great sensory therapy appt. with Miss M! I got her evaluation sheet that was fascinating to read. It's hard to know how to condense her 5 page evaluation into a mini paragraph. But before I try, I have to say that Miss M is so wonderful and such a gift! I feel really blessed that God paired her up with our Jude. She's won him over right away and he loves to play with her each week. She's soooo patient and caring, she lets me ask any questions I have at any time during Jude's sessions, and she's really good at what she does. She picks up on the smallest details.



In these photos she was having Jude hang from the bar and swing forward to time the ball swinging back at him, and he was to wrap his legs around the ball and then let go of the upper bar to grab the ball and then he had to swing to the hanging "chair/tent". Once he was in the chair/tent she would swing and spin him in circles. He wanted fast circles! :) One other fun thing is that the big blue box behind those stairs is a ball pit! So Jude could climb to the top of those stairs and jump into the pit of balls! He LOVED that!

So, back to trying to condense her evaluation, I will just highlight some sentences from the whole thing, even though they don't even come close to doing it justice or quite give the whole picture. :) "Jude has a diagnosis of sensory integration disorder.... The most significant areas of sensory processing that affect Jude's functioning are auditory, vestibular, and proprioception... these systems play a major role in the development of muscle tone, motor skills, self-awareness and the ability to meaningfully interact with others... these systems, collectively, are also important for the development of eye-hand coordination, visual perception, learning capacity and academic achievement, self-confidence, and self-control... these difficulties cause Jude to have to work harder than other children his age to understand multi-sensory information. The combination of these leads to emotional reactivity, difficulties with transitions, anxiety, impulsivity, and stubbornness/inflexibility. Ideally, by improving Jude's sensory processing abilities and his neuromuscular skills, there will be a significant improvement in his fine motor, gross motor, and sensory processing skills."
I'm excited to see where this goes! And I'm so grateful! xo

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad your boys are doing great B. all 3 of your kids are just adorable! You give me inspiration, I love that the small trips are managble.. I just love all your positive. Hope to see you soon!!

Jill said...

great read , you condensed sensory therapy detail well :o). Gotta say Mr Benjamin has a new striking resemblance to his big brother with his big boy haircut .. love it !!