
Today in school we talked about fractions and had fun with it. We used 3 sets of straws to share fractions of our whole bunch of straws. We also used a puzzle that had 3 pieces and took turns holding 1/3 or 2/3rds, or the whole puzzle. The kids caught on pretty fast - I actually wondered if they'd get it at all. I sometimes forget that kids are much smarter than we often give them credit for.

Then we took an apple and cut it in half, then into fourths and took turns sharing fractions of the apple. Jude eventually ate 1/4th of the apple. :)

We worked on writing the letter N and number 5.

We talked about the importance of practicing writing neatly because we want people to be able to read the things we write, which led to the (kids') realization that they could actually write words with all of these letters they are writing/learning/practicing, lol, which then led to Selah writing her first sentence all by herself: No t.v. :) Pretty funny!

It all came about because I said that if you put an "O" after your "N", you'd have the word "NO" and then Jude thought it would be funny if she wrote "No t.v.", so she did. :) She wrote it twice. Once kind of slanted trying to fit it among her practice letters, and the second time neatly on a blank line, and unfortunately I photographed the first one, so see if you can find it in this photo! :) [Jude's gotten into a really bad habit of begging for t.v. all of the time, so we've been doing a bit of a "no t.v." thing lately, and it's going well, so that's where that came from.]
After school we went to the library and picked out some books about animals in their habitats and some other stories that interested the kids. We came home, read 3 books, then made dinner, ate once Josh got home, then went and picked up our Christmas tree. We've always found our way to a tree farm to get a tree and cut it down ourselves, until last year when I was on bed rest... instead we zipped down the street to Thriftway and picked up a pretty tree. It was so easy and quick that I knew Josh was forever changed and we'd likely not be going to a tree farm to cut down our own again any time soon. :) Tonight we found ourselves where? At Thriftway. With another beautiful tree. Josh bribed me with a Starbucks and a warm car with Christmas music... I have to be honest, it's quite nice and hassle-free, especially with 3 little kids during this busy season of our lives! I told Josh on the drive home tonight, though, that once the kids are older I'd love to make our way out to a tree farm again a few times. He said okay. :) He loves me! And I love him! And my Thriftway tree. :) And these precious children who decorated it with joy!



2 comments:
hoped there'd be a school story for a gramma read ... those are some sharp N's and 5's and quite the discovery for both how letters make words to read. " NO tv " was a good chuckle.
Yes there will be trips to the tree farm ... maybe a train trip one day :o). Happy Memory Making !love,mom
How cute they are!! I love that they have so much fun learning...Vivian has been so happy to learn her letters and has been writing all our names :-) That is a beautiful tree!! We had to put up my mom's 3ft. tree on a table because our little man would definately pull it right down on top of him trying to get an ornament!!
Post a Comment