Monday, October 3, 2011

You are the Sun and I am the Moon... I will never be a light unless I turn my face toward You.

M is for Moon. M says, "mmm".

I meant to upload some pictures from the rest of last week, learning about letter S, the sun, and that Jesus is the light of the world, but we've just been too busy with Jude's Foods and my photography business right now. Jude's Foods Cookies will be in all (eleven) New Season's Markets on Oct 10th! One week away!!

This week in school we're learning about the letter M, the moon, and that we are like the moon, reflecting the light of Jesus the Son. I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite Sara Groves songs as we were learning today.
You Are the Sun

By Sara Groves and Matt Bronlewee

You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I cannot be a light unless I turn my face to you

You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I cannot be a light unless I turn my face to you

Shine on me with your light
Without you I'm a cold dark stone
Shine on me I have no light of my own
You are the sun, you are the sun, you are the sun
And I am the moon


We started out our day using the math rods for pictures starting with letter M (mailbox, man, and milk bottle).
I loved how Jude did some assessing before figuring out which rod was correct. :)
When they were finished with their paper I asked them to just keep busy for a few minutes while I attended to Benjamin and when I came back to the table they were doing this...
Lining the tub's lid with white cubes and they said they were doing "teamwork". :) I thought it was pretty cute!
Next we cut out "M cards" that help us with sound recognition for reading with some activities we do.
Selah colored hers first, while Jude just got busy cutting. Jude still has a lot of anxiety associated with cutting a straight line. His preference is to cut about 1/4" outside of the black dotted line (to avoid any error possible), but we consistently work on it. He does really well when I give him tangable cutting goals that earn a sticker. So today when he was half way through cutting out all the cubes he earned a sticker and then got another when he was finished. That helped ease any anxiety and he was really proud of himself when he got done. He does this thing where he stands on his chair and asks to do a "jumping hug" into my arms. I'll take it!! :) I'm really proud of him for daily pushing forward and doing the things that he fears... like cutting an imperfect line. I love you Jude bug. Your mommy is SO proud of you!
This little chica monkey is keeping up with all Kindergarten curriculum and not missing a beat. I'm pretty amazed.
Next we worked on writing the letter M with our finger in sand (tray of salt).
This is Jude's M...
And Selah's M...
While I was helping Selah repeatedly draw her M I looked up and saw this...
I love boys. Never a dull moment!
And this little boy tried really hard to get my sharpie while he was in his chair...
We spent time in the bathroom again with the lights turned out, pretending we were moons, then reflected light into the mirror onto ourselves. We learned a little about the moon's cycle and different shapes, and Jude even learned how to find a reference in the Bible. I had to find the book, but then he found the chapter and we worked on finding the tiny numbers for a verse.

Some of my thoughts on school and life today:

1. I'm really thankful for this school schedule. As I compare our life the past two years and the stress/anxiety with preschool vs. our relaxed schedule/routine now, I'm just overjoyed. I know homeschooling definitely isn't for everyone - believe me when I say I didn't even think it was for me! But man, it has been a surprise gift in my life! My super-slow-eater-Jude is now allowed to have all the time he needs to eat in the morning before school starts, and I have all the time I need to prepare our gluten-free/dairy-free food from scratch, which is time consuming.

2. I love that our school schedule allows Jude plenty of time to process through his fears of failure before starting a project, extra time if we need it to do the project, and then a relaxed environment for him to learn how to transition from activity to activity. (Jude's preschool he was in transitioned activities every 15 mins and it caused a lot of anxiety for him.)

3. I'm thankful for God's answer to prayer in regards to gut healing and learning about gut health and it's connection to our brains. Aside from his gfcf diet, Jude has had a really positive reaction to daily probiotics, vitamin B12 and a daily multi-vitamin (update 10/7/11: We just began adding 1 tsp of fish {cod liver} oil to our smoothies too, which was another gut healing recommendation, and so far no one has noticed it's in there so that's great!). Jude hasn't had a single one of his "complete melt-downs" since we started this daily probiotic/B12/multi-vitamin routine! It's been a little over two weeks, which is definitely a record for him! And since starting this routine (that I had specifically read about) Jude has had quite the appetite. I can't thank God enough for this next level of healing. Every small step in the right direction just makes me want to cry happy tears!

No comments: