The kids have been working on writing a lot more lately, practicing writing S, M, 1 & 2. They're both doing a great job, but they both also seem a little intimidated by writing for some reason, so I help guide their hand if there's a time they don't even want to attempt it. I work daily with Jude on how to correctly hold his pencil and he's really improving.


Sometimes this is how Jude feels about tackling a project that he's intimidated by... like coloring on top of a leaf that could possibly move/slip.

Don't worry Jude, I feel that way about life too some days. :)
Now that it's becoming more and more like fall out there, I've been starting my school days with a cup of tea. My favorite tea these days is Yerba Chai Spice. Yum!!
I thought this moment with Benjamin was so funny. He was sitting there eating and suddenly I heard letter cards dropping off the wall. When I look up at him he seemed quite proud of himself. :)

We did something really fun the other day. Jude made a playdough ball of the moon (btw, my friend Jana told me about a great gluten free playdough that smells yummy, so I ordered 4 and the kids love them!) and Selah made an "earth ball" and we talked about the moon orbiting the earth and the kids put it into motion for us while we talked about the moon. Jude loves hands-on stuff like this!

We did a fun fall project this week too, making leaves, tracing our hand in the shape of a tree and gluing our leaves onto our tree. I was proud of Selah for drawing "S" for Selah on the back of her leaves all by herself.

The kids picked out leaves, and crayons and asked me to do the coloring part since it was kind of tricky...

And I went ahead and cut them out too so they could move onto coloring their hands and gluing on the leaves.


I love that their styles of coloring show through on these projects too. Jude is my minimalist and Selah likes to cover every bit of space. :)

This next photo is something I think I'll always remember. The kids were eating a late dinner (because we had stayed at the park so late) and I had lit some candles after cleaning the kitchen and they asked if we could turn out the lights and put the candles on the table. Sure!! So we did and they thought is was the coolest thing ever. We kept it that way until everyone was tucked in bed. I don't think I could love these munchkins more!

Today after school we did something fun. I had read online about a little book that I wanted to order for the kids, but instead, decided to just put the book into motion in real life, if that makes sense. The book was about a pumpkin farmer that taught children that their heart was like a Halloween pumpkin. Jesus takes our heart, cleans out all the gunk, and puts his Spirit into our hearts so that we can shine for him! He makes his home in us.
We had a little white pumpkin on the porch so we brought it in, opened the top and cleaned it out while talking about what kinds of gunky stuff can live in our hearts.

Then we did something I saw on www.pinterest.com. You can use a cookie cutter and a hammer to do a quick pumpkin carving! Just genius! So Jude helped me to hammer a heart into our pumpkin.

Then we put the only tiny candle we had in it (birthday candle) :) and went into the bathroom to see our little light shine in our cleaned out heart.

I'm continuing to enjoy schooling at home. We've been starting our school days later, because it's easier when Benjamin is down for his nap. It's just so nice to have this flexibility, and to be involved in the kids' lives this way. I really enjoy watching them learn and do these hands-on projects together. We find our way out to parks or play dates a couple days a week and we run errands after school about 2 days a week. I'm looking forward to my photography season coming to an end so that I can give even more focus to school and prep. I'd love to add in baking and Christmas crafts this season.
Have a wonderful Thursday! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment