Monday, March 25, 2019

March

When I was growing up my brothers and I sold crafts/toys/candy at a yearly weekend event called the Fall Festival. We'd usually earn $100-$200 each. So in 1989, we pooled our money together and bought a trampoline. We loved it and spent endless hours jumping on that thing. My dad (the amazing gymnast), taught us all how to do flips and spotted us until we could do them confidently. He also put up two cable swings on our property and poured a huge basketball court... we definitely had a fun home. (Thanks mom and dad!)
Josh and I have commented multiple times lately that our youngest child has a lot of energy and it seems to ramp up at the same point in the day when we are winding down. ;) So I ordered a trampoline, and boy am I glad we did! All of our kids are getting more exercise and I'm really loving it too.
I can still do those flips. ;) (This was a screen shot from a video.)
I like new experiences, so instead of ordering a round trampoline, I ordered us an oval one just to see what it would be like, but it still feels mostly round. It does give you an extra foot of distance on one side, which is nice for doing flips. Josh was a trooper assembling this thing. We accidentally put a bracket on wrong and didn't catch it until the whole trampoline was assembled, and in typical Josh fashion, he took it apart and reassembled it without a single complaint. That's something I've always loved about him - he's so positive!
I liked this photo of Ben watching and doing as dad does.
Beginning of March we went to a school Open House, to just check it out. We aren't looking to make a change, just to be educated about our options. We all agree that we still like the homeschooling path we're on right now, but it could change at some point... or not, we're not sure. :) We're still just taking school a year at a time and thankful that we're enjoying the process. After the open house our family went out to dinner to chat about our thoughts. If there's one thing I love most about homeschooling, it's the amount of time I get to spend with my kids. I love them, and their company, and how well they all get along. They seem to have a wider grasp than I had at their age, of how life works. And I like that they know and believe that they are capable of learning anything that they want to learn.
Sheri, Isaac & Evan came to visit! We hadn't seen them since January so it was great to all be together. We celebrated Isaac's belated birthday.
Sheri went with me to Ben's guitar lesson that day and she happened to know Ben's teacher from back in the day, at church youth group. Small world. The teacher's dog stood on my lap at one point and we all laughed as the dog swallowed me up. He finally settled in on my lap. Glad he can feel so comfortable. ;)
That night Selah gave me some fancy hair dos.
I have a little tradition of taking a picture of our kids in the mini theater at our dentist's office every six months, after their dental cleanings. This time when I snapped the photo I couldn't believe how much older they looked. (*sniff-sniff*) 
This was from 2016...
It made me smile to watch Josh work with Ben on his guitar practice the other night. They played and sang together, while practicing strumming and chord changes.
This will sound silly because we've lived here since August, but we discovered a cool new part of our property over the weekend that we really like. It's easy to access since all of the tree foliage hasn't bloomed yet. We found yet another little waterfall that leads to one of our bigger ones.
My friend Amy and I happened to wear matching uniforms the other day. That's what she called it since this is such a common outfit/style. ;)
Boys hanging out after church...
Josh's brother Caleb came over to visit on Saturday. He brought along Orion and the kid cousins enjoyed playing together outside. When it would rain they'd come inside to play video games.
Matt and Gina had us over last night and served us an amazing dinner! Ben and Uncle Caleb both have black leather jackets and Ben wanted to trade for a picture. 
Gina and I have been helping Caleb get his house ready to sell. I love getting to spend time together!
The camellias around our house are in full bloom. When they first began to bloom Jude brought me one, along with another little flower I like. His thoughtfulness was so sweet!
 I'll sometimes pick one camellia and just carry it around when I'm outside. I love these little flowers.
With this beautiful weather we've had, I've been out planting salad greens, snap peas and onions.
I've never had raised beds before, and I have to say, I love it! It's making for some very easy gardening. Because the soil has been dormant the last two years I decided to just plant into it, instead of add soil. I added in a little chicken manure, but that's it. I'm hoping my seeds will sprout! We'll see...
I've learned in the past year or two that I especially like growing herbs. I like having them in the garden and in little pots around the house. Being able to snip off some fresh herbs and throw them into the dressing I'm making, or veggies I'm roasting feels special. Ahhhh....
John and Hannah had us over for dinner and we had a great time gathering around their fire pit roasting hot dogs. John also grilled up some amazing steak, shrimp, bratwurst and even brown sugar apples. YUM! It felt like summer, sitting around the fire as the sun went down. The kids jumped on their trampoline and watched a movie while we adults talked for a few hours. Love them.
Laser tag in the dark.
Selah has been sewing weekly with Grandma Chris. Her most recent project is a blanket/quilt.
Selah liked picking out her fabrics and learning the whole process.
We got a little snow in the beginning of March, which was fun for the kids.
Our chicks continue to grow...
The kids made them some houses, even ones that travel...
We've had some amazing weather in the 60's and 70's. The kids and I loaded up the scooters and went to a park one afternoon. I got to journal in the sun while they played tag with some other kids.
Josh scheduled our piano to be tuned and it sounds even more beautiful now. I love to play it.
One of my favorite habits we've formed in this new house is sitting by the fire, sipping tea and chatting in the evenings. It fills my tank. I can talk to this guy for hours on end.
Ben likes this cozy spot too. He often will get up in the morning before the other kids and then go back to sleep by the fire for about an hour.
I've been craving fermented veggies like no ones business, ever since reading about them in this book. Yum! They are my new favorite side dish. I'm buying them for now and may attempt to make them this summer with garden veggies.
I hope you're having a lovely start to your spring season!

1 comment:

thecorneliusclan said...

Loved seeing your March post as I try to pick away at my February one still (haha!). I can't believe it's almost April! ♥