Sunday, May 15, 2016

Jude's 10th Birthday

I can't believe we have a TEN year old!!

Jude turning ten caused me to feel a bit sentimental. I kept thinking back to the night he was born, and how much relief we felt after such a challenging pregnancy. He was finally safely here! I remember that first day he smiled at 6 weeks old, when he was wearing his little ducky slippers and I thought he had the most beautiful smile in the world! I remember him as a toddler reading his digger truck books, and as he got older he loved riding in the seat on the back of daddy's bike.

When he turned two life got challenging. It was a blur of just trying to find relief for our hurting little guy. He'd scream and cry when hearing a toilet flush, or hearing a vacuum run. He struggled so much in each pre-school we tried. I had no idea he had Aspergers, sensory processing disorder, hypoglycemia, & that his pituitary gland wasn't producing much growth hormone any more. It took many, many doctors appointments before we had answers. Changing our diet felt like a miracle change in him, but it sure didn't solve everything, it was more like a bit of relief. The social struggles and sensory issues were very real, and heartbreaking. I just wanted my little guy to feel well and not be distraught. We had some really rough days, but Jude also had good days and those kept us chugging along!

When I look back on the road we've walked so far, to get here to ten years old (occupational therapy, sensory therapy, social skills therapy, speech therapy, and ALL of the doctors appointments and tests, and medical treatments), I'm kind of amazed! You amaze me Jude! You've been through a lot, and you're doing great!

I'm thankful for the care of all those precious people who have poured into Jude and continue to each week, for the support network of my loving family, for Josh's steadiness & love, and for Jesus, who has walked this road with us, and carried us along the way and will continue to! He is our strength in weakness, and closest friend.

Jude makes me so proud! He works hard, and he struggles, and he gets frustrated, and I do too, but he overcomes and matures and we learn more and more as we keep moving forward! Each day he's understanding better ways to communicate, and through therapies 3 days a week he's learning better social and speech skills, and gaining hand strength for writing. Each year gets better and better. He blew us away last week by learning keyboarding in two days, once he set his mind to it! He also coded a star wars computer game rather quickly, which was so much fun to watch! It's such a treat to watch him discover his strengths!

Jude's many strengths/talents that I love:
- math/pattern mind
- his dancing and love for rock n' roll music
- how organized he is in taking care of his clothes, toys, and things
- quick memorization skills and passion for AWANA
- his love for jokes and Garfield comic books
- his smooth/fast/fearless riding ability on a bike
- how he loves his family

Jude Bennett means, "Praise the Lord, little blessed one". Boy have you blessed me, Jude! I couldn't love you more, & even though these past ten years have been a bit of an adventure, I love that YOU are the one we get to be on this adventure with! You've taught daddy and me a lot about life, and we are doing our best to teach you as much as we can. I know God has great things in store for you! We love you Jude Bug! Happy 10th Birthday! xoxo

...
Jude loves to have his family party each year, with gifts & cupcakes. Granddad Kevin & Grandma Janet joined us this year for gift opening. They have a fun tradition of giving the kids a $2 bill for each year they are old, so Jude was pretty excited knowing he was going to receive $20 this year! :)
We took cupcakes over to my Grandparent's house to be enjoyed with cousin Evie. 
Then, in keeping with Jude's birthday tradition, we went to chuck-e-cheese. He requested to only go with me again, and I always love the one-on-one time with him!
After about an hour Josh and the kids came and joined us for the last 20 mins. Jude was really sweet about it, and loved it all.
Our friends Isaac and Evan came over recently too and brought gifts for Jude & Selah.
I'm so blessed to be your mama, Jude and I'm so thankful for YOU!! Happy 10th Birthday! xoxo

2 comments:

Chelsi Ritter said...

I can't believe you have a 10 year old either!! This is such a beautiful tribute to your little Jude Bethany. A sweet letter from a wonderful mom <3 Happy Birthday Jude!

TRiv said...

Happy Birthday to Jude too!! Wow double digits...Viv can't wait!! lol!!
Your such amazing parents, Jude is a very blessed little boy, it's been so great to see him grow and learn!! I love your blogs cousin, and love you all!!