Wednesday, September 26, 2012

To the apple orchard...

Today was a great break from the crazy amount of backed up photo editing I've been working on. :) The kids had a school field trip to the apple orchard, and Josh was my hero and worked from home so that I could go and leave Benjamin to "work" with him. ;)

I had a little time to kill before and after their field trip, so I ran to Target to get a couple things in the morning, and it felt kind of weird not having the kids with me. I passed a couple of moms in the store that are "usually me" - you know, the mom with the 20 month old who is shrieking in the front seat of the cart because they don't want to have to sit there, or the kid wandering the sidewalk in front of the store while the mom is saying over and over, "this way to the car". :) Haha

And after their field trip I had another hour to kill before I picked them up for the day, so I went to a park across the street from their school and sat on a hill in the sunshine and journalled and it was so wonderful!

The really neat thing was that I could hear familiar voices laughing and playing and realized the sound from the kid's school playground was carrying up the hill to where I was sitting. It was such an awesome moment to sit there in the sun and look out over the lovely view, and realize I could hear my children playing down below. I couldn't help but give God thanks.

Here are some pictures from their field trip:
I love this time of year, and I'm a sucker for barns and fruit trees!
Josh and I often have conversations about how blogs just show the good in everyone's lives. I told him that I often fear ever sounding like I'm whining or complaining about life, so it's easy to just only post the "pretty parts of life" or what I'm grateful for. Plus because the whole point of our blog is to make Blurb Books, which our kids love to read, I guess it feels weird to write about anything negative. But I totally agree with him!

Does anyone else out there struggle with this? 

So, in the spirit of Josh, here was our reality after we were done picking apples and there was nothing left to do:  Jude and Selah didn't want to have to walk all the way back to the van, so they begged me to carry them. I said no, so Selah's legs "suddenly stopped working". Then Jude requested to go home about 30 times, because he knew Dad was there. I'm not exaggerating when I say 30 times... it may have been more. :) Then Selah thought it would be fun to make a game out of kicking any dirt piles she saw. So her shoes,and the bottom half of her legs, as well as floor by her seat in the van, all were covered with a thin layer of dirt. And there you have it! ;) Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Do your kids go to the little Montessori school in Sherwood? My mom's church recently joined with that church and when I dropped the kids off at Sunday school I saw a little cubbie with Selah's name in it, and my Selah thought that was cool. Then I saw little hooks in the hall that said Jude and Selah and thought...hmmm....

Just a fun coincidence. :)

Amy

Amber said...

Yes, blogs definitely show more of the good and very little of the tough or "bad!" But I like it that way b/c I want my kids to remember the good when they read our Blurb books, and I think being positive is a great thing. Sometimes I'll write, "this was kinda a tough day," which really means much more!! But, I do appreciate your fun story at the end of your post, which is real life and not negative. Jacoby asked a dozen times tonight if he could build step 6 of his new Lego set, including falling to the ground multiple times in a bundle of tears! So, I'm with you on that!!

TRiv said...

YES YES YES!! I totally agree that blogs are more positive and we tend to leave out the negative. But like Amber said, it's nice to see how much fun we have as a family! But it is nice to see and hear the trials...make me personally feel like i'm not the ONLY one dealing with crazy kiddies sometimes! Regardless your blogs are always fun for me to read!! And YOU time is so important, i'm glad you got some!!

Chelsi Ritter said...

i have three thoughts about your post bethany. first of all, i LOVE that you are already wearing boots! i've been wanting to wear mine but wasn't sure it was too early. but i'm sure it's warmer here too than out there so that also plays into it. maybe in a few more weeks.....
second, i love this post because it reminds me of the post i wrote yesterday on my blog :) it's really important to be a fly on the wall and just step back and see your blessings that are around you. that's what i thought of when you wrote about hearing the kids play at the playground.
and yes i totally agree with you about being positive. i have a friend that posts things frankly, the ups and the downs and it is so refreshing! we all struggle with things and especially share those "mommy moments" and it's nice to be able to see that side of people's lives. but then you don't want your kids reading your blog years ahead and saying, "mommy, why did you write that about me?" etc! it's a tough balance. i thought you did a good job though at the end of your post!