Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sick days, hair cuts, and fall baking...

We're having a sick day today. Jude & Benjamin seem to have gotten a cold, so we called in sick to school and Bible study. :( It's been nice though, having a slow day to get a few things done around the house. I gave the boys hair cuts today since we're having family pictures taken in two weeks. Poor Jude flinched his head just as we were finishing up and he got a little scratch from the scissors behind his ear. Hair cuts are already pretty traumatic for him with his sensory issues anyway, so this didn't help, but he recovered quickly. We slapped a band-aid on it and he was good as new... after some tears.
Benjamin did great too. I've had to hone my skills of trimming the hair of a squirmy toddler. My trick is to give him a sucker and put him in front of a cartoon, and usually those two things distract him enough to make the whole thing possible. :) I think I left the top a little long...
Yesterday morning I finally got into the fall spirit! Maybe it was because I looked at the calendar and realized it was October. I LOVE fall, but with my shooting season being so busy through the summer, I'm never quite ready to give up the summer weather, because it feels like it goes by way too fast for me. But I'm just LOVING this amazing fall weather! It's like the perfect extension of summer! What a treat! So yesterday morning, in the spirit of fall, we made some homemade applesauce and baked some muffins. Benjamin and Selah were really into helping and had a lot of fun. Jude was happy to just check in on the progress periodically and enjoy the end product.
Selah and I also painted with Q-tips. I either saw this idea on Pinterest or from a link on simplemom.com, and we had a lot of fun with it! It's a great way for kids to paint. It was so much fun that Benjamin and I did it again today. 
Last Friday night we squeezed in a visit/spades card night/sleep over at our friend's Matt & Jana's, because I needed to be in Eugene on Saturday. Our kids always love playing there, especially Selah, who gets good girl time with Claire & Kalea! And of course Josh and I love getting to splay spades and talk late into the night with our dear friends!

That Saturday I did something I was really excited to do, (that I hadn't done since starting my photography business). I was the second shooter for my friend Jamie, who has been second shooting for me at weddings this summer. We have a lot of fun working together, so I thought it would be fun to try! The reason second shooting can be so exciting is because there's zero pressure to nail any shots, and you can be as artistic and "free" as you want. So I shot wide open (f/1.2) and just did whatever I wanted. That was the fun part! The not fun part was how much extra running around I was doing, that I didn't anticipate. I was so exhausted that I slept most of Sunday. It could've just been that the venue was so spread out too, but man, I didn't really ever realize how much running around I ask second shooters to do, when I send them to go grab shots of this or that. I'm much more aware now! I'm glad I had that experience for a couple reasons:
1. The experience gave me more confidence to take the risks and shoot wide open. Why do I always play it safe? I'm definitely going to brave the wide open aperture more often!
2. I will be more aware of what I'm asking others to do!

Here are just a couple quick shots I swiped from her blog to share, that I took that day:
The moon was just amazing coming up behind them during this toast, so I bumped my ISO to 5000, shot at f/1.4, and gave myself a really slow shutter speed, like 1/40th of a second and just held really still (no flash) because that's what will help to make the blue sky and night colors/lights pop like that. I love those moments!

Ok, I'd better go get some work done while Benjamin is napping! Happy Tuesday! :)

2 comments:

Jessica Jordan said...

Fun! This weather is incredible!! B I just LOVE both of your shots from the wedding. Yes you should definitely use that incredible eye of yours to shoot wide open more! I think you are so used to shooting FAST MOVING CHILDREN that your mind forgets anything below f/2.8 :-). I often wonder why I even spent more money to buy the f/1.4 50 mm vs the f/1.8 because I SO SO SO rarely open it all the way up. Recently I have been dreaming of a 300-400 ISO option (which would mean a new camera which is out of the question so it really is just dreaming, but that's ok ... that's what hobbies are for). My T1i jumps from 200 to 400 and it MAKES ME CRAZY. I just want me some 300's haha :). Ok enough photography babble ... lately with this gorgeous fall weather I have not wanted to leave home without my camera bag. Saw your blog post and got all dorked out on some photo chat :) Better get back to cleaning my house before the mess-makers get home from school. Can't wait to see you GET CRAZY at 1.2 :) :) :)

TRiv said...

good tip for trimming toddler hair! I tried to trim Landen's in the tub and it came out pretty crazy!! How do you cut his hair anyway? With Viv I would just trim the bottom of her hair, but i don't know how to cut boys hair!! any tips would be appreciated! Sick days are no fun :-( Hope they feel better soon! And your pics are beautiful..no matter what or how you take them. You have an amazing gift!!