Friday, September 13, 2019

September - first half

Selah and I bought 100 gel pens, so we decided to color fall prints today after school. We're loving the fall smells in the air and the foggy, crisp mornings around here!
We were at the farm yesterday visiting Dad and Janet, and Janet picked me a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her garden! I love how wild it looks, and I love the colors. One of our little pumpkins is there on our bookcase too... the kids and I grew a bunch of mini white and orange ones and we've sprinkled them around the house. :)
Janet also sent us home with a box of pears and apples. Yum!! We ate quite a few today!
My sunflowers are finally blooming! I cut this bouquet yesterday and today half a dozen more had bloomed.
On our last day of summer the kids and I spent a couple hours outside in the hammocks reading. It was really blissful I have to say. Josh was in CA on a business trip, so I lost myself in an historical fiction novel while he was gone, and it was actually very good!
Right before he left, Josh and Ben spent several hours finding enough random Lego pieces to build this jail set. Ben got up early the next morning to finish it himself, so I could text a picture to Josh.
Ben has still been clipping along with guitar lessons. He always looks so cute when I drop him off.
He's also taken a solid interest in piano and has figured out how to play the Legend of Zelda theme song. Selah has too! Someone is always playing piano or guitar around our house. In fact, someone is playing right now as I'm typing, and it's Josh, who is learning to play with an app! :)
We were so happy to get Josh back from his trip! We went for a family walk.
Sure love my guy! He does sooo much for me and our family and I never hear a complaint. Not ever. He's a hard worker, and so loving and giving, and I'm forever thankful for his optimistic view of everything!! I admire him to the core. He's my best friend. I love you Josh!
And we went for another walk another day...
Go Jude!!
Someone once told us that owning property and an older home means you'll never have spare time or spare money and we're seeing that this is somewhat true, ha! Today as we walked to get our mail we enjoyed walking on our freshly poured asphalt approach. Josh joked that we should spend money on ourselves someday. Some people take vacations... we dropped $5,000 on an asphalt driveway entrance required by the county. ;) But it does allow us to finally divide our property into two pieces, so I'm thankful for that. (All of the speckles are pine needles.)
Sheri and her boys came to visit last week and we all went down to the river to goof off for a bit. 
The kids have begged to hang out with Isaac and Evan again since that day.
Our chicken population dwindled this summer. While we were in Washington in June, a skunk killed four of our hens by digging under the fence. :( And then our oldest hen passed away a month later (we think because of a broken heart). And last week a fox killed one of Selah's white silkies while it was just outside for half an hour by our garage. She was heart broken and I was heart broken for her. :( We have two roosters that need to go to a new home... so that leaves us with just two hens for egg laying. 
As we were picking up chicken feed at the store we noticed that they had Lavender Orpington chicks for sale, which I'd never seen before. We couldn't resist and bought three. Alex, Violet & Fern are their names. They are the friendliest little things. They love to be held.
But then we realized we may have a rooster on our hands... so we picked up three more "back up" chicks hoping to hedge our bets on some hens. Since three out of five of our last chicks were roosters, we're hoping to come away with more hens this time around.
That's all for now! :) xo

1 comment:

thecorneliusclan said...

Love this! Bring on Fall and everything that goes with it! Glad you guys got to get out and experience the last bits of Summer! Those pics with the little chicks, treasures for sure since they grow oh-so fast!