Sunday, December 9, 2018

November

Beginning of November we got to go on a field trip to the Oregon Trail Museum in Oregon City. It was minutes from our friends' house, so we drove up the night before to stay with them. We enjoyed getting to see a few of our other friends who are also in our charter school. The kids learned a lot, and got to make dip candles and butter.
This is Jude's incredible teacher who has helped me so much. I teach at home full time but she is a support, and she does all of Jude's testing and helps with all of the logistics with his speech therapy and social skills therapy, etc. She's amazing and I'm so thankful for her help and friendship.
Taking turns shaking the heavy cream to make butter. I had no idea what a simple process it was.
Our teacher also recently planned a game day for all of her "students". The kids always like seeing familiar friends and having lots of snacks there.
Ben has wanted to learn how to play guitar for a long time. But he specifically has wanted to learn electric. We waited to see how serious he was about it before investing in a guitar and lessons. But we could see it was something he was personally determined to do. So we found a great teacher that many friends recommended and got on his wait list, and went searching for the kind of guitar he recommended.
And ultimately chose a guitar that fit his body the best. I thought this one was cool, but he said it was too heavy.
Selah and Jude were great helpers that day too, cheering Ben on. We've asked them both if they'd like to take music lessons, or a painting class, or do a sport this winter. They both said they'd enjoy doing more swimming, because they like being in the water.
Here's the guitar and strap Ben chose. I like his style!
He's thoroughly enjoying lessons, and doing great!
One thing we've learned about our new home is that there is a lot of wildlife. In one day we'll see deer, turkeys, squirrels, a wide variety of birds and even things like opossums that are confused and out in daylight.
This guy was in our orchard, so I followed him to the woods, where I bumped into this second buck!
Even if I'm wandering in the woods with deer, Mr. Fluffbottoms will know to show up and say hello. :)
Leaf helpers!
Many of our friends have turned 40 this year! Next year even more will. It feels kind of weird, because I remember when my parents celebrated their 40th birthdays and that doesn't feel very long ago for some reason.
We went up to Portland to join in a big surprise party for our friend Val. Aaron had some amazing Hawaiian food catered and we enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new couples. 
The kids were excited to see their friends.
Next it was my older brother Matt's turn to celebrate his 40th! Gina did a great job coordinating a surprise party in the reception barn at the farm. Dad and Janet, and Mom and Wayne and church friends all helped. 
My brother regularly has people think that he's 28 or 30, so I'd say he's looking pretty great!
There was karaoke singing, and these kids got up the courage to sing toward the end of the party, and then it was hard to get them to stop. I'm glad they liked it so much.
We love cousin Nora!
The next week Selah and I got to go over to Granddad Kevin and Grandma Janet's house to help with a tiny bit of the Thanksgiving Prep. Janet did 99.9% of it.
But we got to help with the Grandma Gayle rolls dough, and Selah loved being a part of that. We both did!
We also got to collect some greenery from the front yard to put with these pretty pumpkins that Janet grew.
Then it was Thanksgiving the following day! Yay!
We loved that Josh's parents and Chloe and the boys joined this year too. What a treat to all be together!
Cousins!
I love this time of year! Holidays and family and fun traditions. I'm soaking it all in this year and don't want it to rush by. I hope you're having a wonderful holiday season! xo

No comments: