Monday, December 11, 2017

It's the Holiday Season!

We've had a lot going this past week! It's been a lot of fun and super social, which I absolutely love, but I'm also a bit of a homebody, so I was definitely ready to enjoy a quiet day at home, recharging today. I've realized that I rarely take pics of events these days, though. I just don't think to do it. Which isn't a bad thing, because I'm enjoying the moment and loving the company I'm with. But later on I do often wish I had snapped a photo to remember. The kids suggested that I start keeping my big camera handy more often to remind me.
This is one of my favorite spots in the whole house because I get to watch the seasons change, right here from the kitchen sink. 
And I also love watching the moon rise over the field. Did you see the super moon this week?!! It was INCREDIBLE!! We saw it from the road almost every evening this past week as we were driving somewhere. So beautiful. 
Selah has been playing the piano a lot lately. I love seeing this spark in her because the same thing happened to me when I was about her age. She's learned The First Noel, and she's now working on Away in a Manger. She amazes me with how fast she learns, and my favorite thing of all is how she's learning to play beautifully. She's not taking lessons, we're just working through the same piano book that my brother Matt played when he was Selah's age. 
There's something so magical about Christmas lights! They make a house feel almost dreamy. Every year, when Christmas is over, I comment that I wish we could keep twinkle lights up. I'm going to have to find a way to make it happen this year. They make a home feel cozy. Have you heard of Hygge (the Danish obsession with getting cozy)? I'm pretty sure that having twinkle lights in your home during winter is a Hygge thing.
We got our tree the night after Thanksgiving. We played Christmas music while the kids decorated the tree, and Josh and I put up the garland and stockings. My favorite thing that evening was dinner. We had Thanksgiving left overs and went around the table telling each person two things we love about them. It was really precious to watch my kids share their love for each of us, and to watch their eyes twinkle as they absorbed the loving words from each family member.
I love this little ornament, from when Jude was in pre-k!! So precious.

Ben brought this dove home from Sunday school a couple weeks ago and I asked him to tell me about what they learned that morning and he said, "Jesus' baptism." 
So I said, "Tell me about it." And he said, "Isn't it pretty self explanatory? Jesus was baptized." ;) Ha! 
Typical Ben response. :)
We're still clipping along with school. The kids recently did some science experiments. Selah likes to bake, so she tested different amounts of baking powder in a recipe to see how it affects the end product.
I've thoroughly enjoyed my Mixbooks calendar this year! I'm going to have to make another one, since we're on the very last page. I'm so sentimental, it's sometimes hard to see another year come to an end, knowing my kids will all be bigger and older next year! These really are sweet years!!
These pretty greens and berries grow next to the house, so Selah and I clipped some to enjoy indoors.
One of my favorite parts of homeschooling is getting to set our own schedule. The kids and I have a routine of starting every school day by reading The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. It reads like a novel, but covers the entire Bible in chronological order, and it's hard to put down! The kids often beg to read one more chapter. We regularly let Selah's bunny, Pebbles, run around the room while we read. :) One morning we whipped up a batch of snowmen gf sugar cookies before we started reading, and we drowned them in frosting. That was fun.
Jude is a bit of a Pebbles whisperer.
The sky has looked like this every afternoon this past week. I love the beauty of winter! The cold isn't my favorite, but it sure is pretty.
Gina & Jen (my sister-in-laws) and I went to a wreath making party with some of the women in our church. We had a great time! I borrowed this pic from a friend's instagram. :)
So thankful for my sisters!
Josh and I headed up to the Pearl District in Portland to attend our good friend Aaron's 40th birthday party. We had so much fun!! We always love seeing Aaron & Val.
My mom watched the kids and Selah had a wonderful time riding Ruby.
All bundled up together for a bedtime drive home.
I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas season!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I held out taking Nora to bed so I could scroll through your blog post. It's already been such a fun family-filled season and I love it!! :-*