Monday, December 21, 2015

Benjamin's 5th Birthday

Ben's birthday is less than a week before Christmas, so it makes it tricky to host a birthday party, but he doesn't mind waiting until January to have a little party with friends. So in keeping with our family tradition, we had a special day where Ben got to choose what he wanted to do, then we had cake and presents here at home with just the five of us.

Ben has been counting down the days until his birthday for several months! During the summer he'd often wake up in the morning and say, "Mom, how many days until my birthday?" Turning 5 was a big deal and he couldn't wait. So yesterday as we got in the car he said with excitement, "I can't believe the day I waited for is here!" It was the cutest thing to watch his joy and excitement throughout the day.
In the afternoon we joined friends for lunch and Ben sat with his buddy David, who also just turned 5!
Ben wanted to go to the bounce house to jump around but there is a brand new park a few minutes from our house that we pass a lot while driving, and the day before his birthday we saw that they finally completed it! So Ben changed his mind and requested to go play at the new park! It looked like it was all going to work out with a little bit of blue skies and a break in the rain. So we drove over with our friends but it began to pour down rain. :( We told Ben we'd head to the bounce house as we all buckled back up and he began to cry. He really wanted to play at this new park. So we put on our coats and boots and played in the rain! He LOVED it! We only lasted out there for about 15 mins because it really began to POUR. :) We promised him we'd come back to play again soon with friends.
Soaking wet slide? No problem!
I love his enthusiasm!
Much to Selah's dismay, Ben still didn't want to go to the bounce house. ;) Instead he wanted to head home and open his presents because he shook them before leaving the house and he knew they were all Legos, and couldn't wait to tear into them.
Oh the anticipation of presents; I love this cute face!
He had this permanent face of excitement as he opened each gift!
And he thanked his siblings for their gifts with very genuine hugs...
Ben not only allowed his siblings to help build Wall-E, but he also let them build his other Legos since he could take them apart and build them again himself. <3 I thought that was so kind and generous.
It was a quiet afternoon of Lego building.
After dinner Ben requested a chocolate cake with mint frosting. Yum! He and Selah decorated the top with chocolate chips. 
It's hard to see, but I love the bit of frosting under his lip in these pics. I think a bit of sampling was going on while he was decorating the top of his cake. ;)
His cute face as we sang Happy Birthday!
Oh this sweet boy and his joy for life! I pray he never loses it. He makes me smile on a regular basis.

Benjamin, we love you so very much and thank the Lord for giving us you!! You are a gift over and over again, bringing joy and delight to our lives! 
Happy Birthday Ben-jammin'!! xoxo
As I wrap up this post I have to share a precious little story that my Grandma told me recently that I didn't know about. We were at my grandparent's house celebrating my Grandpa's (Papa's) 81st birthday a couple weeks ago, and as we were putting on our shoes to leave Benjamin looked up at Granny (my Grandma, his great-grandma) and he said, "Granny, do you know that God is the comforter?" And Granny said, "I do know that Benjamin!" And he said, "Granny, He will comfort you." And days later our family happened to lose my Uncle Jeff (Granny's son). :( He had a heart attack a few hours after he had undergone surgery, and he went home to be with Jesus. God used those gentle words "from the mouth of a babe" to comfort Granny in such a heartbreaking time of loss. <3 

1 comment:

Jill said...

PRICELESS PICS ! oh the treasures those birthday cake ones will be when he is grown. I laughed out loud the whole post ( " much to Selah's dismay ... " - I've heard that one myself - haha ). Until the end when you beautifully wrote out Ben's words to Granny ( so we can always remember it ) - yep I cried sweet tears . Sure love the FeglesFive.