I've had more time this year to focus on some things that I've wanted to focus on for quite some time. And I'm so thankful for that!
As the kids and I have been able to spend so much treasured time together in our home, schooling, I've slowly been learning to balance our time better and to find some rhythms. But I've also become painfully aware of my lack of organization. I love clean, beautiful spaces! But we have too many spots in our home that collect clutter and it kind of drives me crazy... like the bookcases of school papers, school supplies and books that "explode" ;) or the poor laundry room that everything gets shoved into before guests come over. ;) Aren't we thankful for that door we can close? ... So that's one of the things I've been excited to work on this year.
And I'm so glad a blogger recommended this book by Marie Kondo! (below) She says that de-cluttering is the magic secret to a tidy home. It's just a fact. And a fact I wish I had embraced much earlier! ;) When we own too much stuff it will explode from our closets and toy bins. When we designate a specific place to every item we own, then it always has a place to go back to. While I don't agree with everything in Marie's book, I must say I don't remember the last time I read a book that spurred me to such action! Wow. I'm having so much fun sending bags and bags of clothes and toys, etc. to Goodwill right now! And I'm so thankful that Josh and the kids so quickly jumped on board too. It's empowering to say goodbye to things you really don't love and to create spaces we do love! It won't happen overnight, but if you're sick of clutter in your home, Read This Book!
The other thing is the joy of "Making Over my Mornings"! (That I learned from Crystal's site here: http://makeoveryourmornings.com/)
I've never purchased an online course before, but I jumped on this one because I was needing some encouragement in this area and I like the gal who teaches it. I've learned some great things from this!
I was allowing my days to happen to me, rather than me "happening to my days". Some mornings I wake up now and lie in my bed and think to myself "take control of your day or it will take control of you." Haha! I guess it's made an impact. My favorite thing I've learned is to make my list before I go to bed of what I want to accomplish the next day and in what order. I have so much room for growth, but I'm seeing some fruit from the little changes I've made to my mornings and I'm enjoying having some bigger goals to work toward, and making a plan for accomplishing them. If anything it's allowed me to feel much more in control of my time and choices, and how to set my day up in a way I love! (The secret is to start the night before.) :)
It's not often that I come across things that have such an impact on me, but I'm really thankful for these two things right now and how the Lord is using them in my life. xo
Have you found something like that recently?




5 comments:
Loved this ! Love you .
Good for you, Bethany! We have been trying to get rid of stuff as well. And I have heard about the Makeover Your Mornings tutorial and I was thinking of getting it. I might have to now that it has helped you so much. I feel like it's a hard area for homeschooling moms. :)
I love your blog! Keep it up!
Wonderful post, B! It's both freeing and stress relieving to de-clutter! I hope to be doing more of that in August (mainly my garage..ugh)! Way to go on this new routine, I think it will only get better from here!
I love that you confessed to the spaces and closets that things get shoved into! :) Don't we all have those!! I'm so glad you found such wonderful inspirations for your life Bethany. I agree, there is nothing like feeling organized to keep serenity and peace in our lives. That's so wonderful your kids especially jumped on board! I have been trying to get my kids to do that for a while now but they like their "stuff." Maybe there are some tips about that in the book?
Good luck in your endeavors Bethany!! Much love :)
That video series looks awesome and it's at a good price! I think I was getting chronically "low" because I was letting my days happen to me instead of choosing what to do each day and choosing to do things I love. I forgot how important that is! Thanks for sharing. I think I will sign up for it! You should have a promo code since you are promoting her ;) Have fun getting tidy!
Post a Comment