Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sunriver

Josh has wanted to run a marathon for years, and he decided back in January that this would be the year that he'd do it. He signed up to run the half marathon in Sunriver at the half way point in his training, and I'm so glad he did! We had such a fun time turning the trip into a family vacation and loved it there so much we all can't wait to go back! It’s a magical spot to make memories.

There was a lot of energy in the Village the day before the race and we had a great time checking Josh in, visiting Goody’s of course, and enjoying some shaved ice.
The day of the race we moved our patio chairs over to the path and cheered on Josh and the other runners. The kids rang their cow bells and were so excited when Josh ran by. Ben yelled, “Bye Dad!” over and over. :) He made a lot of runners smile.
The kids and I timed our parking and getting to the finish line wrong and missed Josh crossing the finish by 5 short minutes! I was so bummed out... maybe this 80's song will help...
“If I could turn back time, if I could find a way, 
I’d have packed up the kids so much earlier for your race…” 
Anyway, he ran it faster than he anticipated, so that’s the silver lining! :)We’re so proud of Josh for working toward his goal and I love how much fun he’s having in the process. Love you baby!
We sure love this guy.
In our time there we loved biking all over, swimming at the SHARC pool, soaking in the hot tub, making smores (in our oven) ;), and biking some more...
On two separate nights there was thunder and lightening, and on one of those nights we were at the pool. They shut it down quickly. See the dark clouds rolling in? Thankfully that happened just as we were finishing up our time there.
The kids loved the pool most! We spent hours there each day and their faces looked like this much of the time...
The lazy river was my favorite pool spot.
The kids crossed the floating logs soooo many times. I didn't go grab a phone to take some pics until their last run and by then Selah was just crawling across them. ;) I wish I had gotten her on the first run because her face was priceless.
Jude and Selah enjoyed a little bumper cars...
Treats on the back deck.
One night we were wild and crazy and squeezed in one last ride just before bed... in our pj's. ;) But it was short lived. Everyone was pretty tired.
My favorite memory from our trip was on our last evening. We decided to take a longer bike ride just after dinner. We rented tag-alongs for Selah and Ben because we knew after all the swimming we had done that day they probably wouldn't have it in them to bike as far as we wanted to go. I sure loved the little conversations I got to have with Ben, riding just behind me. Oh, the absolutely precious things he says!! Four is such a sweet age.

The clouds looked a little dark that night so I decided to leave my good camera at the house and just use my cell phone. About 15 minutes into our ride I was so glad I did, because it began to rain. Then thunder. Then lots of loud thunder. Then downpour! It felt just like we were standing inside a shower. We began to laugh because it was just so funny. It was warm and the rain felt awesome - a sweet memory made!
When we reached the river the thunder stopped, the clouds parted, and there was lots of beautiful sunshine! We dried off on our ride back and LOVED soaking in the views along the river.
The park was a great, quiet spot.
I had a lot of fun playing tether ball with the kids... I told them stories of my glory days in first grade, ;) when I had beat a third grader. 
Timing the kids on our made up "america ninja warrior playground course."
Ben got his foot caught in the climbing net and fell and cut his head on one of our stops at the park. :( Josh bandaged him right up with the first aid kit in our car and he was good as new in no time. 
Selah and Ben had a lot of fun playing in the backyard... they especially had fun building nests for birds.
After five days of fun we headed to Bend to spend the day with friends. But first we spontaneously stopped to see the lava cave on the way to Bend.
Kelly and I spent the afternoon talking about photography and testing some lighting equipment while the guys took the kids to their neighborhood pool. They spoiled us with a great dinner and company! The kids had so much fun together. (Thank you!)
It's blurry, but I thought this was a sweet pic to end on. :) xo

4 comments:

Jill said...

I loved every minute of your vacation :) Yup that one you ended on says it all. Sweet Season for you, wonderful memory you made.

Lisa said...

I love this! Such sweet pics of your adorable family. It looks like you guys had a great vacation!! xo

Unknown said...

Loved hearing about your trip in person... but it's always so great to read it in story-style with amazing pictures! So glad you guys had such fun! xoxo

Chelsi Ritter said...

Oh my goodness Bethany what an awesome trip!! First, congratulations Josh! So excited he did so well on his race!!! So happy for him. Second, wish we could have joined you on a ride in the rain; and third, looks like I gotta gets us to Sunriver. Oregon really is the best place on earth :)
Oh and love that photo of Ben with the bandage. What a cutie.