Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fall is coming

Today I swayed at the sink, listening to worship music and slicing plums. Sunlight spilled through the windows and I just felt like dancing! :) Probably because my kitchen was actually completely clean for a split half second, too. ;)
Our neighbor John gave us a big box of plums and I filled both of our dehydrators with them today. They'll be a yummy snack in the winter time! I've tucked away 3 gallon bags of dehydrated pears too, which the kids love. Yep, I'm a produce hoarder. ;)
Tonight I walked through the garden to gather some things for dinner and was almost overwhelmed by it. In good and bad ways. We definitely over-planted (oops!) and our garden is huge. My friend Grace called it the Garden of Eden as she stood looking at it from a distance, until I explained further how "weed neglected" it really was and she changed her description to the "Garden of Weedin". ;) haha! Truth. Oh dear. But I'm soooo thankful. Thankful for all I've learned and all it's producing! Even in it's crazy state. Thank you Lord for our beautiful garden. 

If you were to try to walk through it today, (more like push your way through jungle) you'd find these things...
3 varieties of pumkins
Acorn squash, butternut squash, and yes cantaloupe!
Broccoli, purple bell peppers, tomatoes...
and lots of other things like cucumbers, kale, chard, basil, cherry tomatoes, green beans, summer squash, delicata squash, crookneck squash, potatoes... and surprise sunflowers transplanted by a bird?
Janet, Gina & Nora came by last week and spent a full afternoon with me. Janet taught me how to can pears and I was so excited when every quart sealed right! Harvest time is so much sweeter when it means a kitchen full of family. That's really the fun of it.

1 comment:

TRiv said...

How amazing your garden is! I'd totally take some fresh produce off your hands if I could ;-)