Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Home

Originally, I had decided not to bother blogging much about our move because I was in the middle of my wedding photography season and didn't want to draw any attention to it. Plus I didn't want wedding vendors or fellow Portlanders thinking of me as someone who had "moved away" and then not refer wedding photography business to me. But the longer I've thought about it, I've decided to just not worry so much. :) I am still shooting Portland weddings and will continue to do so, so if you want to refer anyone to me, please do! 

Even though moving in the middle of my busy summer of shooting has been a bit nuts, or really nuts ;), I'm so thankful we did it! This has been such a great summer for our family and I'm loving it here! 

I grew up in this sweet town of Corvallis and love this place most because our families live here. I was blessed to be surrounded by family and have close relationships with my grandparents and cousins growing up here. And Josh and I have always wanted that for our kids. We moved to Portland 11 years ago and often said we would move back to Corvallis once our kids got to grade school. The past couple of years with Jude's diet, therapies, struggles and successes, I've just longed for the support of my family. A stronger support network in general. And I began to feel like my kids were missing out on the joys of family that I grew up with. Josh and I had been praying about moving back for 3 years. But God's response was always, "Wait on me." Psalm 27 & 37 were constant reminders to wait and trust and I'd see His goodness. 

It was challenging to have faith that He had a plan on days when I just felt like I was living in permanent "limbo" because Josh and I just weren't sure what to do... buy a "forever home" in Portland to raise our kids in, or keep waiting until the Corvallis plan worked? Each attempt to move forward always felt like we had 2 out of 3 puzzle pieces fitting, but never all three. But God kept saying, "Wait, Bethany. Trust me." My fears of the future eventually gave way to trusting Him and hoping for what He had planned. Even if it meant waiting more years. But I prayed not!

 I had been praying that God would provide a home for us on property, with an orchard. I had been praying that God would provide a lovely piano for us to buy, because I missed playing so much. I longed to see the sky full of stars again, to be outdoors so much more with the kids... I missed seeing God's fingerprints in nature. 

And then, after 3 years of praying, God answered in the most unexpected, wonderful way! And in such an unusually special way, and I'm so thankful.

The Farmhouse (I'll share more about the history of it in another post, as it use to be my Grandparents' and is owned by my dad's side of the family.) On acreage. With an orchard that we walk through almost every evening, as the sunlight spills through the oak grove nearby! And the nice people who moved out, left us a piano that I love playing every day. It's also been amazing to see family almost every day. That's the best part. I'm so thankful for this season here, however long it may be, and thank God for His goodness to us.
xo,
Bethany

7 comments:

Kelly Hess said...

Your new home is BEAUTIFUL. So pretty, so much potential!! I love the property.

TRiv said...

Oh my gosh Bethany!! I am so happy that your prayers were answered...you guys deserve it!! It's all so beautiful, I got tears in my eyes just looking at the pictures, I can't imagine in real life. Family is the BEST...i'm so glad you are able to be around them more and your kids too.
LOVE YOU ALL!! and again I'm so happy for you all!!

XO,
Tara

imaya said...

Your new house is beautiful! Your story even more so. God is amazing! Almost a year before we moved down to SD we also prayed specifically for things about our new house-near the water, a yard, an extra room for guests/office. Housing down here, especially near the water, is OUTRAGEOUS and knowing what our budget was to be it seemed impossible. But when God wills it, there is nothing that prevents it. Every time I drive home I am in awe of what God provided, and am filled with such gratitude knowing that this was only possible because of Him. Those little things, like your piano, are almost like his whispers of "I am here, I hear you, even when my presence is faint."

ellen said...

Wow! More photos!!

Kramer Family said...

I am sooo excited for you guys!!! Your blog about your move is so encouraging. Waiting on the Lord!!! Dennis and I are in search for acreage in Corvallis where we feel Him calling us too. I know God has something perfect picked out for us for our barn home, but it can be so hard to wait on Him. Your place is beautiful and what a blessing. Thank you for taking that step and blogging about your move. :)

Zoe said...

I'm happy for you, B. So beautiful home!!

Sasha Cornelius Eggli said...

Wow Bethany! I am so happy for you and your family...and jealous! I am so happy that the farm house is staying in the family and that you guys get to enjoy it! I'm happy that your prayers were answered, and in such a wonderful way! I'm looking forward to more pictures...