Last Thursday morning Josh went in for PRK, which is a laser eye surgery (kind of similar to Lasik) to improve his vision and get rid of his need for contacts and eye glasses. He's been planning on doing this surgery for the past year and finally got it on the calendar. I was so nervous driving him in to have this done because I knew what they were going to do, and the thought of someone shooting lasers in your eye and scraping a layer off the top of your eye seriously grossed me out and made me worry. But clearly this is a very routine procedure and there probably wasn't anything to worry about, but still, I worried and prayed a lot. :) PRK only took 90 mins and then Josh was ready to head home for recovery, which they told us would take 3-5 days. The first day of recovery was great. Josh was surprised by how great he felt and we were super excited that it was going to be an easy recovery... But by day two his eyes were really uncomfortable. He felt like there were eyelashes stuck in his eyes that he could not touch to get out, and any amount of light was painful (which is all normal and what he expected to feel). So he wore sunglasses, plus extra shades, plus kept a towel over his face. He slept a lot too and did eye drops every 30 mins...so lots of cat naps between drops. (Josh's brother also had this surgery a year or so ago, so it was nice for Josh to get to talk to him while recovering.)
By Easter Sunday I got to see his eyes again! He could finally tolerate sunlight and I was so excited to see those bright beautiful eyes of his without shades. And here's the crazy part: Josh's vision before surgery was 20/400. Yep, really, really bad! The Big "E" on the vision board was blurry to Josh without his glasses on. But his vision after surgery is 20/20 in his left eye, and most likely the same in his right eye. When he went in for his follow up appt. on Tues his right eye was still healing and was at 20/40 and they told him it would most likely be 20/20 once the eye healed completely. He has another follow up appt. tomorrow. We are sooooo thankful that everything went well and Josh can see without glasses or contacts! It's really exciting that he had such a huge improvement in vision.
Here's the view from the vision center downtown Portland...
Josh and his layered shades when we first got home from surgery...
Day two, in bed all day with shades and the towel...
On Saturday we went down to stay at my Dad and Janet's. I left Josh to sleep while I went and photographed an engaged couple, and Dad and Grandma Janet dyed eggs with the kids. Too cute!
Easter Sunday after church. Three cuties!
Yay! My love can see again!! Easter Sunday at my Grandma's house...
I loved this little moment after church on Easter when Jude and Daniel pushed their younger sisters on the swings. Way to go, Gentlemen!
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter!
Thank you Lord for the priceless gift of grace and salvation! xo
"I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see."
Was blind, but now I see."







2 comments:
I love reading your blog, getting caught up on your lives and hearing all the little details. Thanks for sharing Bethany. Love chrismom
Im so glad Josh recovered well from the eye surgery. Me and Chris got lasic done about a year ago, and it seriously changed my life! My eyesight was so bad before that I couldn't even read the chart, they had to hold up their fingers and I had to count how many they were holding up!! also love seeing pics of your cuties, they are growing!! always too fast huh?
Post a Comment