Monday, March 11, 2013

Enjoying the slow season

I have a pretty predictable annual routine... I work hard at my photography from about June-Thanksgiving, then I soak up the holidays with family, then I hibernate until end of March, then I get inspired to start shooting again right around "spring forward" daylight savings time, then I am busy with kid's birthdays, Easter, wedding anniversary, end of school... then the shooting season starts again.

So here's some catch up blogging that I've missed during my hibernation period. ;) Since it's about a month's worth of iphone photos, I figured I'd just break them up into subjects:

School Days:
I got to volunteer at the kid's school on Valentine's Day. I had fun watching them interact with their friends, do crafts, hand out their Valentine's and look through their own stashes. The tire swing is still their favorite playground activity. Photos below are of them working on big hearts homework for a class Valentine's Day project and Benjamin got to help too. Since it involved paint, his clothes were not present. And bottom right photo is beautiful Mt. Hood on our drive home from school.

Our 2 year old:
Benjamin has entered that 2 year old phase where he's becoming more independent and loves to say, "I do it myself!" :) He's also fallen in love with his daddy, and will say, "daddy help me". It's the normal progression of things but always makes me a little sad that he isn't my snuggle bug as much these days. So anytime he chooses to be snuggly I just soak it up! :)

Sensory Therapy:
Miss M has been allowing Selah to be a part of Jude's therapy sessions lately. Ben even got to participate one week! The reason she's allowed Selah is because she wanted to "rock Jude's boat" a little bit and see how he responded so she could address any issues she saw. The process was really helpful for me too, to be able to see how I need to be much more proactive in certain situations and less of a responder. Jude's doing great! (The bottom two pictures are what Benjamin decided to do in the waiting room while waiting for the big kids since he didn't get to play in the big gym. He jumped off the steps into the beanbag over and over.)

Games:
Jude's taken a lot more interest in games lately. He use to really struggle with ever losing, but he's finally learned that not everyone can win every single time, and it's been fun to see him learn to be a gracious loser. He loves the game 5,000 (dice) and it's great for his head math skills too. We've also been playing Bible Trivia. A lot of the questions are too hard for the kids, so I just make up my own easier versions of the questions for them while reading the cards. The kids also begged us for the entire month of February to go bowling since the bowling alley is across the street from our grocery store. We finally went one evening and it was crazy overstimulating for Jude, which we totally knew it would be! We came prepared with his headphones and he asked to wear them the moment we walked in the door. They at least blocked out half the noise. The kids had a lot of fun and I'd say Selah loved it the most!
Photos on the bottom are of our organization that's been a long time coming! I was able to clean out half of our toys and give them to Goodwill, and organize what the kids do play with into bins. I also organized all the craft stuff into bins, and our pantry. I purchased some floor mats for the kids too, because at school they have this thing were they pull out a rug and sit on it to do their activity. Then they put their activity back on the shelf and put their rug away. (See above school photo.) I'd say our rugs have worked 50% of the time here at home. I just need to be better at reminding them. We'll keep working on it. It keeps everything much more tidy and organized! (which are not words I would've used to describe our toy situation before this point.) :)

Just for fun:
Left to right: Date night at Big River in Corvallis. Beautiful blue skies. Selah being cute. Super boy! Tulips make a house happy, especially during winter months! Two little drummers.

The daily life cycle of a kitchen:
Our gluten free, dairy free lifestyle (and choosing to avoid as much processed food as possible) means a lot more time in the kitchen cooking from scratch. One day last month I did so much cooking (beans, beef stock, granola, food prep, etc.) on top of our regular 3 meals/snacks that I hit a record and ran the dishwasher 4 times in one day. My kitchen was so disastrous that I had to send a photo of it to my friend Mauria. That's what friends are for, right? :)  (I'd share it here with you too, but I don't want to.) ;)
Another recent record was the morning that Jude ate 14 blueberry pancakes! Hungry kid. I made pancakes again a few days later and he ate 9. I made them again this week and he said he wanted 20 but only ate 4. I guess he's slowing down.

Getting out of the house during hibernation season:
1. Selah petting a puppy near a friend's house. 2. Ben and I hung out with Liam one day and we played with the camera on my phone for a bit. 3. Zoo time with Hayley & Ivan and their cute kids. 4. Vegging out at Isaac & Evan's.

Jude's Foods Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Our cookie company is reaching an exciting growing point. It will be fun to share with you where we're at by this summer, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse by talking about it now since things are only in process and there's nothing official I can share. We're just really enjoying this learning process as we slowly grow and try to expand. 
Josh has also been doing some sampling days at various New Season's and the positive response to our product is always so encouraging. www.eatjudesfoods.com

The Bluebird Cafe:
And lastly, Josh was gone last week on a business trip to Nashville, TN. I almost got to go with him, but my free airline miles ticket didn't work out with the timing. While he was there he got to go to the Bluebird Cafe! I was so excited for him! He heard 4 musicians perform who write songs for famous musicians. Songs like, God Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts, and songs that Scarlet & Gunnar perform on the t.v. show Nashville, etc. He had a great time there. And he brought me home a dress that he saw in a store window that made him think of me. :) I love this sweet, thoughtful guy and I'm glad he's home with me again.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Love your organized toys & crafts :) And your tulips! And getting out of the house & a bit outside in these winter months. Nice work catching up on all of these everyday life events!