Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekly Update

We've been loving all of the flowers blooming everywhere! Last week was so beautiful and sunny - ah, it was WONDERFUL! It's raining again today, but that is needed to keep everything green and growing. I'm excited for more sun again soon, though. :)

Josh and I participated in the Portland Gluten Free Food Fair this year. I'm so glad we did. It was a lot of fun to share Jude's Foods Cookies with the public and let them know that they can find them at New Seasons Markets in the pastry section. We gave out 400-500 samples and sold about 50 bags of cookies to new converts. The best part was when families would come up to our table and say, "Oh we LOVE your cookies and buy them all the time!" That made our day. And we had a few people show really dramatic excitement after tasting them, and we couldn't help but cheer along with them! :) It was pretty funny.

The biggest news around here is that the big kids started school last week. And they just love it! We had been really enjoying home schooling, but I was in dire need of more structure, and I could tell the kids needed it too! This new routine is just wonderful for us all and I couldn't be more thankful for the school we enrolled in. We were already signed up to start next fall, but figured it wouldn't hurt to do a couple months now too. This school is so kind and welcoming.

Last week the kids learned about volcanos, Mt. Saint Helens, and they made volcanos outside. Each day when I went to pick the kids up from school they begged to stay longer and play, so we did each day. They are quickly making friends and love the playground time with their buddies.
(Here are a variety of iphone pics from the past two weeks: row one is school days, row 2 is backyard water play, flowers our neighbor cut for us, and time seeing friends, row 3 is time with friends, and visiting Ruby the pony at Gramma's house at a postponed Mother's Day gathering, row 4 is riding and brushing Ruby.)

Today the school had a field trip to an Alpaca Farm. It was raining, but that didn't stop the fun. We all wore our rain boots and jackets and had a great time. The Alpacas were friendly and had the softest hair!


The kids all got to make a "soft scrub soap bar" with Alpaca hair. They would wrap the washed hair around the soap, soak and lather it, and the hair will dry on the soap and form a bar shape.

This sweet little boy in the striped coat, we'll call "N", plays with Selah a lot on the playground. :)

The kids took turns making soap and coloring a picture of an Alpaca. While coloring, one of the ladies at the farm read the kids a story about Alpacas.

Selah was glued to the story. :) That was a fun first field trip.

I hope you all had a great week!

No comments: