Monday, June 1, 2020

End of May

Josh and I celebrated our 18 year anniversary last week! 18 years of being married to my favorite human!
We put in some work hours during the daytime by pressure washing our rental and prepping it to paint. Then that evening we went out for dinner as a family, walked around downtown, and bought an ice cream cake. It was a great day!
We spontaneously chose a restaurant as a family by driving downtown to see what was open currently (phase one of covid re-opening). Jude pointed out the Japanese restaurant on the corner next to the Inkwell since we'd never been inside. It turned out to be the perfect spot for the evening!
Our chef was hilarious. He tossed an egg in his hat and threw food from his spatula into our mouths. He let Jude cook as well.
Spotting bull frogs...
Ending the night sharing a cake with the kids and Uncle Caleb. Yum!
Our anniversary gift was a new lawn mower and hedge trimmer, which I was pretty happy about! Our friend has this line of tools and let us test them out, which is how we got hooked. They're so easy to operate with just a battery, and a push button start. And they're lightweight!
Swimming with friends! The best!
We got to celebrate our friend Matt's birthday by playing spades and eating an amazing homemade ice cream cake. My friend Jana cut me these from their yard. They're beautiful!
Spontaneous sushi dinner in the grass, that happened to be by a track...
So we decided we had to have some races! (Lane 4, for old times' sake.) Track was my favorite sport. I held four school records and I fought to defend them all the way to graduation. My dad often said that I won races because I wanted it more than anyone else. My determination was greater than my athleticism.
It was so much fun racing my kids! It made me want to put on my track spikes and train, train train... 
Jude sprinted a couple 400m dashes too and sat down in the bleachers to try to catch his breath. I think he would love track and field!
Josh cheered us on. :) He's a long distance guy.
Playing Minecraft with friends...
Chalk spray paint art...
Walks...
And time with Westley...
We've been bustin' our booties to get our rental house remodeled. Josh and I taped off the house one evening so that I could paint it the next morning.
Then Josh stripped off the old roofing, and the kids earned some money by loading the old shingles into the dumpster.
Josh and Rod are putting on the new roof as I type.
Our friends had some extra plants that they graciously gave us to help spruce up the front of the house where the fence once was.
The inside is coming along too! We still need to do quarter round trim along the floor and lots of little odds and ends in the house, but we're getting closer.
Ben helped to replace door knobs.
My mom and grandma had a big "free sale"! Granny gave away 20 years of things that she had collected in her barn. You could call it a FREEdom sale. :)
The kids had fun sharing their love of chickens.
Cutest Granny!
We'll be jumping for joy when we're finished with these big projects! We're closer to the finish line each day & we're thankful for the fun we're having, even if it looks a lot like work. And feels like exhaustion. ;)

No comments: