Wednesday, August 28, 2019

August - the glorious days of summer!

August has been SO wonderful! We've thoroughly enjoyed time with friends and family spent hiking, playing in the river, going out to eat, playing games, and having great conversations. My tank has been filled. I was hoping that we could pack in all of the fun things before school started back up, and I feel like we've lived August to the fullest as far as that's concerned!

I'm going to post the events in reverse order, simply because it's easiest with the way my photos are set up. :)

Today was magical. We played in the river with church friends. The water had shallow areas and deep areas, which was perfect for the age range of our kids.
Between us four (homeschool) moms we had thirteen kids who played so well together. They worked as a team to get to "the island" where they caught a small rock bottom fish and put it in a fish bowl. (I don't have a pic of that area, because it was around a bend, but I loved seeing them confidently venture out without us adults.)
I'm so thankful for the love and support of other moms in the homeschool community. It's such a humbling thing. It's a gift to be united with kindred spirits and be able to cheer one another on! And cheer our kids on too!
I think these kids like our church as much as we do! :)
Yesterday we went up to Portland to spend the day with Sheri, Isaac & Evan. I had a great time chatting with Sheri while the kids made short films on their ipad and played with Legos.
I had a hair appointment in Lake Oswego, so Sheri took the kids down to the park.
We then met back up at Salt and Straw for some ice cream!
We also squeezed in some pizza.
A few days before that we spent two days with our dear friends, the Colemans. It felt so good to be reunited!! We thoroughly enjoyed their company (and beautiful new home.) We played Code Names a couple times, had great conversations, enjoyed a delicious breakfast, went hiking and looking for bugs to collect for Sydney's science project this fall.
Ben and Nate became fast friends again. :) Both are third-born with similar personalities!
Bosco, the smiling dog!
We sure love you Drew & Marisa! xo
When we got home Ian (my cousin), Kaylene and Foster arrived. We loved having them here for the weekend! Their older kids were visiting their grandparents in Salem. The next morning Kaylene headed out to visit some college friends, so we spent time with Ian and Foster here at the house. The guys napped, and later that day we walked some beautiful nature paths and played at the park with the kids.
And we showed Ian some land we're praying about buying.
The next day Bob and Tori invited us over for a gathering in the orchard. How beautiful is this spread?! So picturesque.
It was great to spend time with Dad and Janet, and Warren and Tammy too!
That evening Matt, Gina and Nora came over for BBQ dinner. Matt and Ian played guitar for a bit and it sounded amazing! I love when we can all be together! What a gift. I wish Caleb could've made it over too, but he was busy.
A few days before all of this we went to Josh's annual company picnic, which is always a treat! They spoil us each year with an amazing dinner, face painting and raffle. Josh loves his job & we're so thankful for the outstanding company they are.
Jude was hoping to win a lava lamp and he won it!
Ben was hoping to win a hover board and he won it!
And Ben was kind to share it with his sister, too.
The week before that we had some nice slower days of going to the library...
...Having amazing BLTs at Dad and Janet's, with farm fresh tomatoes, yuuuummm!!
We did some detailed coloring with Grandma Chris while listening to Pandora's classical study station... it was a great way to spend an afternoon!
The week before that we celebrated Caleb's birthday, along with all of the summer birthdays. We had a great meal and the kids swam.
The kids all gave Uncle Caleb home made Pokemon birthday cards that they spent a lot of time creating. :)
The summer birthday club! Yeah, it's pretty exclusive... and clearly one of a kind, ha! Don't you wish you could join? ;)
Swimming until the sun went down...
Days before that Josh went to Washington DC on a business trip. We sure missed him, but loved spending time with Grandma Jill and Papa Wayne, riding Ruby and swimming, as well as visiting with Granny & Old Papa on their back patio. We even got to see the full moon rise from just behind the hills, and it was breathtakingly beautiful.
Jude's feet almost reach the ground!
Our animal loving girl!
Floatin'...
Hugging papa from across the horse wire... :) He told mom and me lots of stories that morning about his childhood and his parents. I love hearing about the past and what events form a person's story. And Papa's stories are full of laughter, which I love.
We sure loved getting our Joshy back home!! He's a treasure.
One morning we woke up to Ben like this. :) He cracks us up.
Josh bought Virtual Reality for his birthday, but it was so new that there was a waiting list. When it finally arrived it was quite the fun toy around here! It still is! You can play games, feel like you're riding a roller coaster, and you can even watch Netflix and Amazon Prime in it just as if you were in a movie theater. It's pretty amazing.
Gina & I got to help out at the Farmer's Market one Saturday. She took this pic. Our church runs a Market Tasting booth to serve our local farmers and sample out their great produce. That day we got to saute' onions and eggplant in garlic salt and it was delicious!
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, outdoor
Later that evening we got to have Nora over while Matt and Gina attended Gina's 20 year class reunion. Good looking couple!
Dinner with friends...
...who have the cutest kitten that Ben fell in love with.
We're still loving summer nights in our backyard. The magical glow of Selah's fire stick in the creek just had to be captured... with my cell phone. ;)
Mr. Fluffbottoms likes to snuggle with us by the fire too.
We got to enjoy an afternoon at Janet's childhood home. It's an historical farmhouse. She and her siblings are in the process of fixing it up to sell. What a beautiful setting it is out there on five acres with a view of the mountains and moon risings.
Janet's brother, Bob, played hide-and-seek with the kids using his drone. It was fun to watch, and listen to the kids' laughter! The kids would try to hide from the drone (which had a camera) and "it" (Bob) would always easily find them. :)
Ben was just looking so cute that day...
We worked on some property projects earlier in the month (painted our shop, barn, & pump house). Here I am using our paint sprayer, which is nine millions times faster than painting with a brush. I like getting things marked off our list, and had a great time painting out buildings with Josh, which we managed to get done in one afternoon/evening.
I was so happy that the green and purple were going away! ;)
Hammock time! (said in MC Hammer voice)
We spent an evening at Hannah & John's and the kids tagged onto Elliott's business start up: he's selling Terrific Soil. They helped him sift, weigh and bag his soil. A few days later the kids got to be at their house again and they sold the soil in the front yard, like a lemonade stand, and they did quite well with the support of neighbors. Here they are prepping soil and getting about as dirty as you'd imagine. :) I love the friendship here!
I saw this and thought it was so funny!! And true! :) Ha!
A positive outlook is worth so much! :)

School is starting in a week and a half, so we're going to start preparing for that transition. I have to admit that I'm kind of looking forward to the quiet rest of our read aloud times by the fire again and our hot cocoa and popcorn afternoons with math. Sweet seasons and traditions are circling back around again and I'm loving that. I'm thankful for every season God gives us. He is so, so good! And this summer has truly been a gift. xo

No comments: