Friday, March 25, 2016

Valley of Fire

Jamie and I drove out to Valley of Fire State Park at such a pretty time of the day. The light was so lovely and the air so still. When we arrived at the cabins I fell in love with the peaceful setting! It was 360 degrees of beautiful red rock and soft green foliage. I imagined what it must have been like for men to camp out in these cabins 85 years ago. Would they have heard coyotes at night?
 "Now a picnic area, these historic stone cabins were built with native sandstone by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's as a shelter for passing travelers."
The inside of one cabin...
And the view from its window...
Jamie kept telling me to hang tight... but I kept hearing hang loose. She finally pointed out that I could stop making the hang loose sign because she wasn't speaking surf lingo. ;) haha!
We hiked out to see the gorgeous red and white stand stone, and the views were spectacular. I love the beauty of the desert.
To give perspective on this photo above, do you see the lady in the lower left corner of the pic?
Do you see the lady in this photo below? Look carefully. You can also see the road we drove in on, there in the center of the pic. I loved this view.
As I soaked up this scene, I couldn't help but think of the cover of the Dr. Seuss book, Oh the Places You'll Go.
This photo below was my view if I turned 180 degree from the pic above. This large flat sand stone was incredible.
Jamie and I thought this would be a fun spot to snap a couple of pics and for some reason something made us laugh and before we knew it we were laughing so hard that we were crying. Some people near by us must've thought we were nuts, lying on the stone, cracking up. 
Then our pics went downhill from there... ;)
The lighting on the hike back to the car was so dreamy. I felt like I was standing in a painting.
And speaking of cars, I couldn't help but notice how many people in the desert own white ones!
I'm looking forward to sharing my pics from the old mining town next, another favorite spot for sure!!

No comments: