Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cornelius Christmas at the Beach

Last weekend we had a wonderful time at the beach, celebrating our belated Cornelius Christmas.

We enjoyed three restful days soaking up time with family, opening gifts, playing games, watching movies, eating great food, reading inspiring books, going in the hot tub, playing more games, and doing a big puzzle. Dad and Janet blessed us with this wonderful weekend at their beach house and we're so very thankful!
I enjoyed going for a walk on the beach one day with Dad and Janet. It was chilly and really windy and the wind just blew us along! Dad treated me to a warm latte (thanks Dad!) at Cafe Stephanie, where they all know Dad on a first name basis, because he loves to pop in and buy a large chocolate chip cookie whenever he's at the beach. :) Instead of trying to walk back against the wind we climbed up this hillside and walked back in a less windy area. I loved the view from the top and my time with them!
Little Nora Bean loved scooping up the wet sand with her hands.
Selah lost one of her front teeth two days before we left. Jude accidentally bumped her in the mouth and it knocked the tooth out. :) She then accidentally spit the tooth into the sink when getting some water and it went down the drain, oops! It was a comedy of errors, but the tooth fairy still delivered.
Josh and I think she looks adorable with her new grin, and we also think she looks and sounds like an older kid now. 
If only we could slow down time just a little. :) We sure love this big girl!
One day after playing in the ocean for a good amount of time we walked back to the house and the kids asked to warm up in the hot tub. We hopped in and as the sun went down the view became so charming as the Nye Beach lights came on. I had to grab my camera to snap this photo. :)
I loved hearing the ocean waves, there in the distance.
We had a fun time opening gifts.
Gina got a gift that came in a really funny card that had us all laughing!
Nora loved repeatedly going up and down the stairs. She's saying so many words these days! I can't believe she'll be two next month.
I'm so thankful for our family!

And speaking of our family, last Friday, before heading to the beach, we celebrated my Uncle Jeff's precious life at his memorial service (my mom's brother). This is how I think of my Uncle Jeff, from my childhood, with guitar in hand (photo below). He was so sweet and soft spoken, very artistic, and thoughtful of others. He was in a work related accident about 12 years ago that caused him to have to go on kidney dialysis. :( He did a great job living with that obstacle for a long time.
His memorial service was a special time, and it was sweet to see so many family and friends from near and far. Many of Jeff's friends and family shared fun memories/stories of him that made us all smile or laugh. Matt, Caleb and I sang Chris Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace during the service (his favorite hymn), and Matt put together an excellent video of photos. After the service we went to my Grandparents' home for a dinner gathering, along with Aunt Judy & cousin Trisha from Arizona, Aunt Tammy & cousin Mindy from southern California (who recently lost Uncle Randall), and Carleen from Seattle. It was nice to spend extended time talking with them and catching up on life. 
The family all gathered the day after the memorial for breakfast at mom and Wayne's, and enjoyed some horseback riding at their place.
I thought I'd end with this lighthearted photo of Ben at the memorial service. This was where he spent the majority of his time... trying. to. reach. those. cookies. And he succeeded. Many times! ;)

No comments: