1) Do you know what season it is?! Yep!! Pomegranates are back in stores! Hooray! Here's to living with brown stained finger nails for the next month! ;)
2) In a few weeks you will be able to buy Jude's Foods Chocolate Chip Cookies in a new Portland line of grocery stores called Green Zebra! They are like a Whole Foods 7-11... health food mini mart. They hope to have 20 stores in Portland by 2020. I believe one will open in October and two more next year. We are really excited about their store and that they chose to carry Jude's Foods Cookies on their limited shelf space!
This bottom right photo is of a full drawer in our freezer here at home... I had to laugh when I opened the freezer the other day and saw this. These are individually packaged cookies... not sold anywhere like this (yet). It's fun to have these packaged for "grab 'n go"!
3) We were very excited to harvest our first broccoli! I have to admit I'm not the best gardener. Our summer was busy, so our garden got one super good weeding and that was it. I watered it, but have been super thankful that job has been taken over by the rain. I feel like I learned a lot this year from watching everything come up the way it did in our garden. One fun thing about it is that we tilled in grass fed cow manure into half of it and did nothing to the soil in the other half. Well the side with the manure grew veggies twice the size as the other!! What a difference!!
4) The kids helped me pick hazelnuts a few times. I realize now that we should have started a little sooner in the season than we did, because the squirrels and blue jays beat us to a lot of them, but now we know for next year.
They grow on the tree like this and when the nuts are ripe they pop right out!
Then we dry them on racks. The farm house is heated with a boiler (hot water travels through pipes), so we put the racks of nuts in the boiler room to dry because it stays cozy warm in there. I LOVE going in there. We cracked and ate a handful last night for the first time and they were so yummy!
Jude couldn't resist making a hazelnut angel.
I'm so thankful we moved here when we did so that we'd get to enjoy the full benefits of summertime outside!! And I'm loving the beauty of the fall now too. I have so many wonderful memories of picking fruit in the orchard with my grandparents. Granddad grew up in the time of the Depression, and he was the most frugal person I knew, and he only let us grand kids pick the fruit off the ground, never from the trees. Why waste what's on the ground? What's funny is that since moving here I find myself always looking at what's on the ground first. :)
This isn't food related, but one thing I love discovering around here are all of the beautiful pockets of light for photos. There are so many pretty spots. My Grandma Joyce got this little white dress for Selah and she loves wearing it so much. She let me take some photos of her running around here in it. I'd like to print a large one of this for above her bed. It makes me think of sweet childhood, barefoot, running free. <3
Collecting baby pine cones near the forest...
...wandering in the woods.
xo, Bethany











1 comment:
LOVE these pictures of Selah! The one of her running is so sweet and the last one of her is timeless; I can't quite put it into words but she almost reminds me of a woodland elf or something enchanting like that. Great pictures!
Post a Comment