Monday, March 19, 2012

I really miss nature some days! :)

Lately, I've been missing nature. As in, wide open spaces of God's beautiful creation! Growing up on 40 acres, with our cousins on the 40 acres next door, meant a world to explore as a child. I LOVED IT! Bright stars at night, full moons over the city lights below, forests full of forts waiting to be built, capture the flag, hide-n-go-seek, sledding down snowy hills, running through yards of sprinklers, cable swings, trampoline, fun on the basketball court, riding horses bareback in the field below as a child with my friend Jeana, long summer days playing with our cousins making the best memories... oh man. What a fun childhood I am SO thankful for!! One of my favorite things to do growing up in our house on the hill was to sit by the big windows of the living room at night when the house was dark, and just watch the beautiful lights spread out below. All was quiet. The forest was dark. The sky was radiant with stars.

As a child/teen/young adult, living in such a beautiful place, I felt like I was living with the Lord in such a special way, if that makes any sense at all? His fingerprints where everywhere. Like being wrapped in a big blanket of creation.

I know that as adults life is just different. Married to my best friend with our three precious/rambunctious kids, there's constant cooking and cleaning, errands, school for kids, work, church, internet, iphones, social media, distractions, busy, busy, busy... and clearly as a kid, I had all of the time in the world to just soak up God's beautiful creation all around me. But these days I'm really finding myself missing it. Recently I told Josh, I want to go sit in a quiet field sometime soon and just soak it up. :)

I'm thankful for the sunny days to get out and enjoy some nature!

A barn, a field and blue skies... ah, love.





New Life. Beautiful.

Result of trying to follow the big kids into the big field. :) A little stunned and quite cute all at the same time!





Last week I got to take the kids out to my Dad & Janet's too, which was wonderful.

I got to meet Jackie - sweetest girl ever! - who is staying with them for a bit while she's in Oregon visiting her grandma and seeing family. Our kids fell in love with Jackie about 2 seconds after they met her.

Selah walking with Grandma Janet:

Watering a plant in the greenhouse, and the kids love ringing the dinner bell out there:

We also had fun indoors:





And I feel bad that I don't have any photos from a couple days we spent at my moms over the past couple weeks. I will be sure to take some next time!
I'm thankful there are beautiful fields around us here, and our families all have places we can roam too! :)

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I just keep smiling as I think of Jackie in such a beautiful place, getting to know the Oregon I love, with such wonderful people. Thank you again and again for making the connection!

Amber said...

Your childhood sounds wonderful! I loved the open spaces too and wish I could give that to my kids. They will have different and also wonderful opportunities though I'm sure. I like your "everyday" pictures lately and think that I need to take more of those for my kids! I love that you got to meet Jackie too. Isn't she great!? My kids adore her too :))

Leticia said...

Ditto what my sisters said :) So much fun to see Jackie in the pictures and know she is so happy there. And, I must add, your kids are so beautiful!

Chelsi Ritter said...

i remember your windows and the amazing view from them! so gorgeous.
i was thinking about this earlier today bethany. i wish i could just go in my front yard and have space for the kids to wander without having to worry about traffic. we always have to go to a park on a nice day (or stay in the backyard, which is great but limiting). wouldn't it be nice for our kids to have the same opportunity to roam and explore like we did? maybe eric and i can provide a place like for our kids that one day, when all our loans are paid off! haha.

Amber said...

Oh I haven't thought about my favorite gymnastics events for a while... probably floor although I loved bars too (until I tried to learn release moves and then that was just too scary for me!). I heard from Jackie about your dad's gymnastics career :) Oh and his quest for the iron cross. That's pretty awesome!