Sunday, October 7, 2018

We Moved!

I originally posted this a month ago?? And then questioned all of blogging due to my children's privacy and took it down since it was the most recent post... I'm still not sure where I stand, but I'm going to finish out 2018 and think more on it until then. ;)


Goodness gracious, the past six weeks have been a whirlwind and it feels so great to be settled into our new home, finally! Yes, we moved! About six weeks ago. And then we took off for Washington DC the following week on a vacation. Then came home and started school two days after we got home, while trying to make sense of a house full of boxes. And then Josh took off for Florida, and then Texas... five days at a time for his work conference season. :) I joked for a few weeks that this was me, haha!
But now I'm sitting here by the the fire in our new place, looking out over the back creek, and the boxes are gone, and the house is settled, and the kids are playing board games at the dining table, and life feels calm again! So much to be thankful for.

Why did we move? We actually hadn't planned to move from the farm anytime in the foreseeable future, but after we fixed up the house we had been working on we thought through our plans of renting it out, and thought through the option of dividing the properties and selling one or both... and the more we thought about all of our options the more we disliked the thought of paying capital gains on the property if we chose to sell. So after a lot of prayer and conversation, we decided to go ahead and move to the home we'd spent so much time on. And it's actually been really wonderful!
Image result for a house is made of bricks and stone
The home is smaller, but has all of the same main living areas we had enjoyed before, so we don't really feel the loss of space. The kids each have their own bedrooms. Selah has her own bathroom. And I like having the laundry on the same floor as all of the bedrooms. This is the first single story home Josh and I have ever owned, and I have to say I really like it. We still have a lot of work to do on the outside of the house/property/clean up, landscaping, etc., but for now we're just taking things slowly and welcoming the slower pace of fall & winter.

This was the state of our house before we left for DC. No curtains, and only partial outlet covers on. 
We still only have curtains hung in half the rooms, but whatever, I'm calling that a win at this point. :)
Settling in... and back to school after we returned.
Our friends at church were looking to pass their piano on, and it was just what I was looking for, for a small wall in our family room. It plays beautifully, and I love having music fill our home. I like to turn out the lights after kids go to bed, and light a candle and play in the evenings, while Josh hangs out on the couch behind me. (This pic was taken after I showered - it's what I look like without doing my hair or make up.) ;)
This is the family room behind me... it also has a fireplace, tv, and built in cabinets on the wall opposite the couches.
The living room behind Selah has a gas fireplace and is where we spend a lot of time doing school reading and things like that. We still need to trim out the windows and hang curtains and photos in that room, but we'll get to it eventually.
Spending time in the creek...
And this is our neighbor's cat, who we adore. He visits us daily, and even though we know his name is OJ (orange juice colored cat), the kids like to call him Mr. Fluff Bottoms. :)
Of course we miss the beautiful farm, but this will be a season all it's own and I'm so thankful for it!
I hope you're having a wonderful fall.
xo

No comments: