Monday, June 19, 2017

15th Anniversary in San Diego

I'm kind of embarrassed to post so many pics and selfie's of Josh and me... but this was our trip and I want to remember it, so I apologize in advance. ;)

Our family spent two weeks in San Diego each summer during my teen years, and we made the best memories. My great aunt and uncle owned a beautiful vacation home/condo by Pacific Beach, and we loved staying there. (My mom recently texted me these pics and we had a good laugh over some of them, especially one that I chose not to post. ;)
That was me in 1993.
And then in 1996...   yep. ;)
Pretty much daily during our vacations in San Diego, our family would drive down the palm-tree-lined street to Pacific beach or La Jolla cove and boogie board for hours on end, and lay out in the sun, burning our white Oregon skin. :) 
Pacific Beach and La Jolla cove, 1993.
We'd take a break from boogie boarding and get Haagen Dazs icecream from a walk up ice cream shop there by the beach, or sometimes eat lunch on the roof at Taco Bell that was just a block from the beach (they had seating on the roof in that day). We'd wander the surf shops and stores, and make dinner at the condo.
I loved those warm summer nights when we'd stop to rent a movie next door to Von's, then head back to the condo and I'd apply aloe vera to my burned arms and legs while our family watched a movie.

One of my favorite memories from 1995 or 1996 was driving along the coast line on our way home from a day spent at La Jolla cove, and we had the windows down, and the salt air was wafting through my hair, and this song was on the radio:


I've always wanted to go back and and enjoy a few days there with Josh, so that's what we chose to do for our 15 year wedding anniversary, and we had SO much fun! I found us a place to rent that was just a few houses down from my aunt and uncle's condo because I wanted to relive those sweet summer days, and be as close as can be to all the same spots.

I loved our little patio area outside our place.

We flew in, in the morning, so we pretty much just dropped our stuff off at our little one bedroom cottage and headed straight for the beach, but first we had to swing by the condo so I could remember that wonderful place. :)

Then we drove down the main strip and headed for the beach... I had no idea how many happy memories would flood my heart when we were there.

Josh and I soaked up being so carefree. We didn't really plan anything for any specific day, but to just go where the wind took us. If we were hungry and walking by a restaurant on the beach and it was advertising fish tacos we didn't over think it, we just got a table and soaked up the view. :)
This guy is the absolute BEST. He is also the most fun travel partner. He had me laughing so much on our trip! Life gets too busy, and in the crazy hustle and bustle of it it's too easy to focus on all of the immediate things that need our attention, and not spend enough time noticing your spouse's amazing qualities. When we were younger I use to hear people say things like that I couldn't understand how that could ever happen, but three kids later, and having days and weeks that fly by due to commitments, I get it now. It was soooo fun to just sit in the sand and chat for hours on end with Josh. Or mosey through a store, hand in hand, while he cracked me up with all of his witty comments. 
I'm so thankful I married such an amazing man!
He's smart and thoughtful, so caring and generous. He's wise and funny and sooooo good to me! I love being his wife and I love that we get to spend a whole lifetime together!
One night we ran to the mall to find a sweatshirt because the evenings were cooler than I expected. Josh put on this hat that said "Thousandaire". Ha! And this coat made me laugh so much that I surprised Josh and ordered it for his birthday. ;) When he opened it the other day he laughed and said, "well played."
I loved our little place we rented. It was perfect! We were hardly there, but loved coming home to it each evening, showering and putting on our sweats & watching a movie.
The next day we spent in La Jolla, just up the road. We walked past this outdoor cafe and the food smelled amazing, so we had brunch there.
We walked along the cove and shell beach. 
I loved collecting shells on this beach as a kid. It's still loaded!
As we drove back, Josh reminded me to pull up that Radio Head song and play it while we drove the coast line. :)
We spent time at Mission Beach later on that day. It was so warm and sunny.
I had bought and packed a fun summer dress and sandals to wear for our anniversary dinner, and ended up wanting to wear this instead! ;) I just didn't feel like getting all done up... I just wanted to be cozy. We found an excellent sushi restaurant right on the beach, overlooking the ocean and the crowd was a mix of casual and dressy, so I felt fine. :)
 photo IMG_4892_zpsumblc5xz.jpg
This guy was blowing huge bubbles using two fishing poles and a rope.
Such good food!
Yummy desserts.
The next day we ventured out to the beach and then strolled little Italy in the city, then went to Balboa Park, and to Coronado Island.
I loved the gardens. And this guy!
We climbed the tower that's behind me in this pic...
It's part of the museum we visited, and we spontaneously took the short tour and climbed the stairs to the top.
In the museum we saw mummies and alabaster jars. One of my favorite stories in the Bible is from Mark 14, when the woman with the alabaster jar of expensive perfume breaks it open and anoints Jesus.
Heading over the familiar bridge to Coronado Island.
There was a big sand castle with a date on the back of it, one day after our anniversary, so I told josh I was going to photo shop it and make it look like it was made for our anniversary, then when we got really old and saw the pic in our family Blurb books we'd be confused and not have actual memories of the sand castle. ;) Yep, I'm a dork... or romantic. Which is it?
Oh man, you know when there are campfires all over the beach and the wonderful smell of the smoke mixed with the salty sea air is just bliss? That's what this evening was. Bliss!
It was well past dinner time when we left and I was craving fish and chips, and I wanted to sit outside. We passed this little Irish restaurant  and decided to grab a table by the heater. :)
Driving back over the bridge.
Our last morning heading out to the beach... and saying farewell to our cute little cottage and patio.
I love throwing on a pair of flip flops and a hat and just heading out the door to the beach. I love burying my feet in warm sand and listening to the waves. And I loved sitting there chatting with Josh for hours that day.
It was Memorial Day weekend, so the empty beach we enjoyed that morning was full when we left. Happy Anniversary, baby! I couldn't love you more, but know I will with every passing year.
Thank you for making life so fun, and for being someone I continually look up to. Your heart is gold, and I'm so thankful we're best friends! And thanks for loving me, even though I never want to own a dog. ;) xoxo

3 comments:

imaya said...

This post makes me so happy! Joe and I have our 15th wedding anniversary and I have rented a place in Santa Cruz, Ca. My Aunt owned a beach house there and my summers were spent exactly like your San Diego ones. (I love living in San Diego, we are in Point Loma so seeing you in all our favorite spots made me smile). Imaga

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

That's so awesome Imaya!! Happy 15th Anniversary to you and Joe, too! ❤️ Have a wonderful time in Santa Cruz; I can't wait to see your pics!

Unknown said...

LOVE loved seeing this post with such fun pics of you guys, and the oldies but goodies too! We are so thankful for the fun sib-friendship we have with you and Josh. You two are sure treasures to us. ♥ So glad you made this trip happen!